Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Dealer broke my engine block

Old 04-23-2011, 07:41 PM
406bac

Default Dealer broke my engine block

Long story short I have a 2007 gt/cs that my local Ford dealer performed the separator plate TSB on. Fast forward to tonight, I went to put the CHE K-member brace on and found that the bell housing bolt right under the starter was loose. Upon further inspection I found the block broke right down the center of the bolt hole and they tried to JB weld it. Now has anyone else had this problem and how was it resolved?I can say this The dealer and I will have a serious problem if they don't make it right. I will be seeing the dealer on monday. Also my brand new shaftmasters driveshaft has a loose u-joint in the back does anyone know what joint it uses so I can fix it?

Last edited by 406bac; 04-23-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:53 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Yikes.. there are plenty of fvcked up techs out there that would do such a thing.. If I were to fvck up like that, I'd tell the service writer and let the dealership deal with it, then fix it the CORRECT WAY. I don't care if I get in trouble.. I'd rather get it fixed and have a clear conscience. Don't drive it anymore, take pics and go to the dealership ASAP. Just make sure that nothing else was the cause to the cracked bolt.. you never know unless you did all of the work.. shiet happens...
Old 04-23-2011, 10:00 PM
406bac

Ya there is nothing in the world that could have broke that stress wise. What happened was instead of working the bolt back and forth and using penetrating oil they used an impact wrench and broke the ear off right down the center of the bolt hole. On the broken piece the threads are all messed up. The problem is I can't put on my torque limiters until thats fixed. And if I did it I would figure out how to fix it, I do all my own work unless its warranty stuff like that was. It really screws with my plans to put cams, delete plates and the limiters on. On an added not I am not even sure the service manager was aware of this, it looks like the tech used JB weld and put the bolt back in. All was well till I tried to unscrew it.

Last edited by 406bac; 04-23-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:08 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ah, the impact wrench.. nothing it cannot do. I have seen many techs just "zap it", and maybe I have been guilty of it also. But when it matters, a torque wrench to specs goes on it. I say, get it fixed.. and make sure it's covered!
Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 PM
98gtmustangpi
Banned

MAN THATS MESSED UP!! DONT GET YOURSELF IN TOO MUCH TROUBLE FOR WHOOPIN EVERYBODY IN THE WHOLE SHOPS *** UNTIL SOMEONE CONFESSES THEY DID IT!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 10:22 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Ever seen someone use epoxy and a permanent marker to cover up a hole in the block??

I hope you never do.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:36 PM
406bac

I am pretty hot, well thats an understatement but being a dick won't solve anything at first. If it goes that way then well it does and I will make sure they lose more business than my car is worth and they know it. We live in a small town where everybody knows everybody. I am well known and respected in town because I am a contractor with a lot of customers. So if they wanna play let them.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:42 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I don't blame you.. just make sure you get all the facts, get it in WRITING and document EVERYTHING on paper and with PICS. The shietty thing about dealerships/shops is that not all of them are honest businesses.. one might be excellent , while another is a borderline chop shop..
Old 04-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Ever seen someone use epoxy and a permanent marker to cover up a hole in the block??

I hope you never do.
I've seen someone try to fix a hole the size on my fist in the oil pan with epoxy

If I were you OP I'd be furious and go to the dealer with a golf club in each hand, go into the showroom and proceed to do my best impression of a tornado
Old 04-24-2011, 09:20 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alec
I've seen someone try to fix a hole the size on my fist in the oil pan with epoxy

If I were you OP I'd be furious and go to the dealer with a golf club in each hand, go into the showroom and proceed to do my best impression of a tornado
At the track we fixed a cracked pan with half a beer can and JB weld. It didn't leak and even lasted another week while the car was parked in the trailer. We pulled the pan and welded it later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer broke my engine block