Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Roots/Twin Screw or Centrifugal for daily driver with BAD winters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 02:15 PM
jackhammer505

Default Roots/Twin Screw or Centrifugal for daily driver with BAD winters?

Hi everybody,
I have a 2008 GT. Currently it has Ford Racing Hot Rod Cams, JLT CAI, Catless X-Pipe, Forceflow Stainless Exhaust, Nitrous Express Plate kit with a 100 shot, Ford Racing 4.10:1 gears and a BAMA Tune. Runs great!!
I drive this car every single day and it has been fun and reliable.
Now I am looking into a supercharger and removing the Nitrous Express kit. I have researched both the roots/twin screws and the centrifuguals.
The Edelbrock, Saleen, Roush, Whipple, Kenne Bell, Magnacharger all have positives and negatives as do the Paxton, Vortech and Procharger.
As for centrifugals I really like the Procharger mainly becuase it sounds so cool!!! lol
As for Roots/ Twin Screws I am really torn here. I like them all and feel they may actually be a little better for a daily driver and the COLD winters we have here.
My question is for a daily driver which would be the most reliable and last the longest? Keep in mind I live in Chicago so for about 4 months my car gets a nice corrosive SALT BATH!!
I mean it is terrible!! Even though I wash it twice a week it is still horribly corrosive and really eats up any exposed bare aluminum.
Like I said I love the Procharger but being a hunk of bare aluminum I think it may get destroyed along with the Intercooler in a couple of winters.
Plus I heard Centrifugals dont like the really cold temps.
I have heard that many people use the Saleen Superchargers through the winter all the time with no problems.
Any thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Jack
Old 05-15-2011, 02:28 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I have a saleen from brenspeed and have not had any problems. Its my understanding the vortechs have troubles getting oil to the gears during the winter. Possibly even the Paxtons. Not sure what your going for here. Do you track the car much. Are you going to build the engine.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:35 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

I would recommend an 02 Focus for winter driving, they can be picked up relatively cheap. Being you have Hot Rod cams, they are just a more aggressive dual pattern cam like the factory, a positive displacement blower would be ideal in my opinion such as the FRRP Whipple, Rousch etc...
Old 05-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Either one will kill you, the car or both just fine. Even a stock GT and V6 S197 are garbage in snow and ice. Adding more power and torque is like using a larger caliber with that gun to your head. Get a beater for the winter and save yourself an ulcer.

Of course, when you wreck with the SC'd car vs an NA car, you have bragging rights (assuming you live)...

I moved recently from the Chicago NW burbs. I know bad winters.

Last edited by Nuke; 05-15-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:44 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Well, from a strictly "can I physically drive my car with a blower without screwing something up mechanically" perspective, the Vortech and the Paxton need to be removed in the winter or they can fail. As far as running a blower in the winter, it shouldn't be much of a problem as long as you don't do something stupid like get into boost. As far as I'm concerned, just drive the car like you would in the snow (baby the crap out of the throttle) and you'll be fine.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:53 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Never had a problem with mine in the winter but as PSUSkier said I don't go into boost, if someone one wants to smoke me on a cold day buy all means I let them, it's not worth blowing an engine.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:58 PM
jackhammer505

I go to the track occasionally and do a little stoplight racing. lol .
I don't plan on building the bottom end anytime soon so I really can't go with too much boost I guess.
As far as a winter beater I WILL NOT do it. I have a 20 car garage full of show cars and classic Musclecars that I don't drive.
I bought the Mustang as a daily driver and I LOVE driving it daily because its so much fun.
So that makes th esalt bath inevitable.
I pretty much just want the power of the nitrous all the time so thats why I decided to supercharge it.

Jack
Old 05-16-2011, 05:42 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

I contacted procharger last month about winter driving. They said unlike the vortech/paxton design, their unit doesn't need to be taken off during the winter. Just food for thought.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:12 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jackhammer505
I have a 20 car garage full of show cars and classic Musclecars that I don't drive.

Jack
pics?
Old 05-16-2011, 12:22 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I drove my m90 all winter here with no issues at all!:ic on_denk:

Quick Reply: Roots/Twin Screw or Centrifugal for daily driver with BAD winters?