Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2010 Cams

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 02:51 PM
wetwille3
2nd Gear Member

Default 2010 Cams

I have a 2010 gt and thinking about getting cams. But i cannot void warranty and i'm thinking the ford racing hot rods will not void the warranty since they are Ford made. Does anyone have them? What do you think of them? And i'll get my car re tuned but can I still return it to stock if i take it to the dealership?

This is them
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-hotrodcam-0509.html

My parents bought me the car so I cant void the warranty... The main concern is if I can still return to stock with the cams and the car will still work and stuff.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:34 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Im sure its not a good idea to run a stock tune with those cams. Not sure what gear u have in the rear end but if you dont have 373 for 410 u should really consider those. Even though those are a ford made part I doubt your warranty would cover any damages caused by the after market cams if there was any. I have never heard of anyone trashing there engine bc of a cam swap. And just b/c you put cams in the car it doesnt void the warranty on say if u had a faulty O2 sensor or something like that. If u do swap out the cams and say you had problems with the cams the warranty will not cover the cams. And say if your engine took a **** with the aftermarket cams then ford would still have to prove that the aftermarket parts were the cause of the failure. Good luck

this was my understanding but im sure somone will get on here and correct me if im wrong
Old 05-30-2011, 06:39 PM
wetwille3
2nd Gear Member

Ehh I was hoiping it might work. Im going up to the dealership kind of soon so I can just ask the mechanic. But I do have 373. I'll just see...
Old 05-30-2011, 10:25 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

The cams Hot Rods or not can void the warranty, it all depends on the dealership. Most Ford dealers don't want to deal with performance mods so unless your local dealership also has a built in speed shop then you may just want to find one and install whatever cams you wish. By going to a speed shop you'll know they've been installed and tuned properly, worst case the dealer may refuse to warranty any engine work but may still warranty other things like trans, rear etc...
Old 06-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Throck!

If something breaks, put the stock cams back in, then take it to the dealership for warranty.

Not sure how much of this you've looked into...

If you do it yourself, make sure the cams are timed correctly or you will bend a valve, etc. Take a look at Hammeron's cam change write up.
If you get SPR cams, they're too much for the stock valve springs, you'll need to change the springs out.
NSR cams are supposed to be designed with stock valve spring friendliness in mind.
You may need a new tune with new cams. I'd contact one of the big online mustang performance guys about which cam to get, they make their living knowing about/selling power parts...I've had a couple talk me out of spending money I wanted to spend because they were worried about something breaking.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What's a warranty? Is it your car or your parents? By the time it's out of warranty, you may not have the desire to do any modding and you'll have wasted 3 or more years being a wuss. Mod the darned thing and enjoy it while you can.