Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

4.6 spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Good job.
What plugs did you put in?
You put in a colder plug for supercharged 4.6' right?

If you used Brisk and they give you trouble, yank them and use Autolite HT0.
My buddy had problems with is Brisks but I have not heard A LOT of people complaining about them.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:16 PM
bobbadio

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Good job.
What plugs did you put in?
You put in a colder plug for supercharged 4.6' right?

If you used Brisk and they give you trouble, yank them and use Autolite HT0.
My buddy had problems with is Brisks but I have not heard A LOT of people complaining about them.

Nothing is in there right now, its still sitting in my garage I did buy HTO's but I'm trying to find a plug that is a one piece. I just ordered a set of Brisk plugs that are for supercharged engines with 450+ horspower at the crank so that should be defiantly a colder plug. Worse comes to worse Ill take the Brisk out and put in the Autolites.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:14 AM
5POINTOH
2nd Gear Member

Just wondering can you use the Autolite HTO plugs in a naturally aspirated engine? I plan on getting a SC in the future.

I have an 05 GT and a mechanic recommended for me to have the plugs changed even though I only have about 14K miles on it. Is it really necessary to do it with such low K?
Old 07-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by 5POINTOH
Just wondering can you use the Autolite HTO plugs in a naturally aspirated engine? I plan on getting a SC in the future.

I have an 05 GT and a mechanic recommended for me to have the plugs changed even though I only have about 14K miles on it. Is it really necessary to do it with such low K?

Yes you can. You need to see if you need to gap them or use them how they are out of the box.
I had a set I used. I had the same question at one point in time a long time ago and I found many people use them. Some on this forum and I have seen A LOT on other forums.

Again check to see if you need to gap them or not.
I believe I called BlowByRacing when I asked. They seemed to use them on their NA S197 Mustangs I believe. Just go to their website and find the number.
Again remind them that the HT0 is one step colder than the HT1 just so they don't accidently get mixed up. I'm not saying I think they will I just always double check places
are on the same page as me when I'm talking parts.
Notice my nickname under my username lol.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The autolites have a stupid ground strap design that is more difficult to gap. Some people end up buying the special tool to do so which I think jegs had up for $20-30. If you do use the autolites make sure to put a thin coat of anti-seize on the ground shield ONLY before you install them. Don't put any on the threads, that isn't the part of the plug that gets cemented into the cylinder head. And in fact anti-seize on threads is a no-no in general since it interferes with torquing things down to spec.

The brisks are retarded expensive but are a one piece design. I use them, no complaints. However I do know people have had issues with them. YMMV.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Riptide
The autolites have a stupid ground strap design that is more difficult to gap. Some people end up buying the special tool to do so which I think jegs had up for $20-30. If you do use the autolites make sure to put a thin coat of anti-seize on the ground shield ONLY before you install them. Don't put any on the threads, that isn't the part of the plug that gets cemented into the cylinder head. And in fact anti-seize on threads is a no-no in general since it interferes with torquing things down to spec.

The brisks are retarded expensive but are a one piece design. I use them, no complaints. However I do know people have had issues with them. YMMV.
VERY TRUE. I haven't heard a lot about the gap being really hard to do on the Autolite's but I bet Rip is right if he's stating that kind of info.
If you have not installed plugs before or gapped them I'd see if your dealer will do it in their service dept if you run into trouble on those HT0's.
Again this is IF you do have to gap those. You may not have to. Just make SURE you check before putting them in.

I have heard of problems with the Brisks after installation from numerous people.

And LISTEN to what he is saying about the anti-seize!
Old 07-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Gap should be .045 stock and .035-.032 for low boost FI applications. Higher levels of boost (10+ psi) will need less gap.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:47 PM
5POINTOH
2nd Gear Member

Has anyone use the following FRPP plugs before?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-raci...8/p/M124053V0/

If so, can they be used on an NA motor as I plan on going FI sometime in the future.

Also does anyone know if these FRPP plugs are a one piece? These darn OEM ones sound like a pain, but it seems like if one can loosen each of them by 1/8th of a turn and then just soak them with PB blaster overnight.....they should come out fairly readily without breaking??
Old 07-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Oh another thing.... the one piece plugs to go with are the Champion 7989 plugs.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by 5POINTOH
Has anyone use the following FRPP plugs before?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-raci...8/p/M124053V0/

If so, can they be used on an NA motor as I plan on going FI sometime in the future.

Also does anyone know if these FRPP plugs are a one piece? These darn OEM ones sound like a pain, but it seems like if one can loosen each of them by 1/8th of a turn and then just soak them with PB blaster overnight.....they should come out fairly readily without breaking??
If I was going to use a colder plug I knew would work because I was going F.I. in the future I would use the HT0's.
They are the one's most people use and can count on working well.
(For the 05-09GT)

The FRRP plugs I have heard are still to be more prone to the carbon build up problem just like the stock plugs are.
Even if you put anti-seize on them I have heard it is better to use a different plug. Not sure why but multiple people have told me this that have used
the Ford plugs and claim they changed them again for some reason and even after putting the anti-seize on them, they had buildup again.
Solid fact? Not sure... but I wouldn't bother taking the risk.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-15-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 4.6 spark plugs