Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Building up my new 08 gt

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 08:27 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Default Building up my new 08 gt

Hey guys I just got an 08 mustang GT and it is amazing. Right now its 100% stock. Im looking to beef up this bad boy. I would like to put on a supercharger but the funds are not there right now. What I some stuff I could do in the mean time to beef it up and give it a nice rumble. Im not much of a mechanic but im learning lol. I work in tool and die so I can figure pretty much anything out If you guys have any tips of what to buy and where to buy it Id love to know.

I also had a few questions also. I was reading that it seems you can build it up to about 500hp. But after that you need to forge your engine. Is this true? Also is it possible to reach this hp goal without a super charger?

Thanks
Kevin
Old 07-15-2011, 08:56 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

When do you plan on supercharging it? If it's going to be years from now then a good cold air induction kit with a computer tune will be the best bang for the buck as a 1st mod. You do not require forged internals for 500 HP at crank the FRPP SC kit makes 550HP on stock internals and I know many that have run them for years without going boom.... clutches are different story. You can make 500HP without a supercharger but it will cost the same or maybe even a bit more. You will need cylinder heads, custom cams, long tube headers, and all the other little bolt ons.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:18 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

I'm about a year into the future of you at this point...here's what I can tell ya. It's all about when you will go SC, but good performance mod's until then would be:

Tuner / Intake combo with custom tunes (intake optional for future consideration of SC)
Gears (3.73 or 4.10 depending on your driving habits)
A/B exhaust or complete exhaust setup depending on your budget.
Short throw shifter if you have a manual.

All safe stuff and should get you started until the moment of truth...DO I SC?
Check out American Muscle or Brenspeed for the tuner with custom tunes.
Hope this helps

Old 07-15-2011, 10:40 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

You could plan on 450whp for under $3500 if you put a GT500 SC on your 3V.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by mayo
I'm about a year into the future of you at this point...here's what I can tell ya. It's all about when you will go SC, but good performance mod's until then would be:

Tuner / Intake combo with custom tunes (intake optional for future consideration of SC)
Gears (3.73 or 4.10 depending on your driving habits)
A/B exhaust or complete exhaust setup depending on your budget.
Short throw shifter if you have a manual.

All safe stuff and should get you started until the moment of truth...DO I SC?
Check out American Muscle or Brenspeed for the tuner with custom tunes.
Hope this helps
+1.

Mayo... you might wanna post that pic as your signature on the user CP button on the top left part of the blue bar on the webpage.

Right now it is coming up in every quote so ppl have to delete it before quoting you.
Or do you have it that way and this is some sort of glitch?
Old 07-16-2011, 08:12 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
+1.

Mayo... you might wanna post that pic as your signature on the user CP button on the top left part of the blue bar on the webpage.

Right now it is coming up in every quote so ppl have to delete it before quoting you.
Or do you have it that way and this is some sort of glitch?
Thanks Black. To use it as a glitch would imply that I know what i'm doin.lol
Not the case, but i'm working on it.
Give her another go and quote me, I think I got it.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:14 AM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

That's sounds good. Air intake. Tuner and maybe some exhaust. I have no idea what parts are good lol. What do you guys use or recomend and why? Btw my car is auto. I couldn't find a sick car within 100miles lol. What kind of power does this stuff add? Are headers a good investment

Thanks
Kevin
Old 07-16-2011, 09:23 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Definately tune first with an auto. Man it made as big a difference with mine, better shift points, more torque and quicker shifts...huge improvement for the money spent. My current tune is by Brenspeed and I love it, hopefully heading over there next month for my 3.73's...yea baby!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:25 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

4 years ago i bought my 07 and put a air intake on it with a sct tuner from brenspeed. Later added 410's. IT was a great setup. I then went cammed and put some flowmasters on and then just about six months ago I went with a supercharger from brenspeed. I ended up getting a saleen. Which is Twin screw meaning it build boost in the lower rpms where as centrfuguals build boost higher in the rpm range. U will want to investigate what kind of supercharge u will want. If you do more street driving then u will want a Twin screw or roots and if u go to a track then a centri is good.

If u go with a cold air intake get the ones that require a tune. Brenspeed is great and is where i have done all my business. Give them a call and they will answer any questions. If u decide on gears then only get FFRP gears (410's or 373's). Generally those are a major pain to swap and a performance shop is recommened to the do the work and one that has done many.

Do u know what kind of supercharger your getting.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:42 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

Basically what Mayo said. Plus, if you realize in the future that a SC wont work out....you can always buy the CAI afterwards. Personally my setup was going to be as follows before I sold my car

axelbacks
CAI/Tune
4.10s

in a couple years after the car was paid off get a SC and sell the CAI used. Tuner should definitely be the first thing as you will need it for the gears.
STS

Quick Reply: Building up my new 08 gt