Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Error codes on KB 2.6 Install - 08 Bullitt

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 09:09 PM
falcon42

Default Error codes on KB 2.6 Install - 08 Bullitt

Saw Riptide's excellent post - wish I had seen it before my son and I installed a KB on his 2008 Bullitt - agree with most all the points and had the same issues. Now new issues - with install mostly sorted I pulled and gapped the original Motorcraft N007F plugs and am now getting error P0302 ( cylinder #2 misfire ). Swapped out the boot, coil pack and even the plug with cylinder #1 - still running rough and getting error code. Hard to think the injector suddenly went bad just when the plugs were pulled. Any ideas anyone? Also - am planning to move to the Brisk plugs - anyone with a blower had any experience with the new ones? Thanks
Old 07-17-2011, 10:48 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Since changing the plug and coil with #1 didn't change the code, that should rule out the plug and coil pack.

Make sure the wires you spliced into were proper.
Check continuity from the #2 coil pack to the pcm connector, making sure the ground-side wire is not cut; the red wire is connected to the other coil packs on that side, so check continuity with them, too.

I've not used brisk plugs. NGK makes a plug, rebranded with ford racing, that fits the 2008 1/2+ year models (new head design).
Old 07-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Are you completly stock besides the blower?

I would guess a vacuum leak. Or a vacuum line not hooked up properly.

I doubt it's plugs, if they are new and they were installed correctly. What are they gapped at?

I doubt it's the coil.

Most likely vacuum leak or tune related. MAF wiring ok?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:58 AM
falcon42

Thanks guys - vacuum problem has come up as a possible gremlin before - have re-secured/clamped every hose/line possible on the vehicle. Am now thinking I'll use some silicone glue on the 'T' connector KB supplied - it's the last vacuum line not totally clamped/secured. MAF set up w/new KB installation no longer requires a splice so believe the electrical connection is solid. Also checked the seal at the air/fuel controller and around the manifold and all seems tight. Anything else I might be missing? Thanks for all the help/insights.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:00 AM
falcon42

And additional answers to questions asked above
- stock set up except for the KB 2.6
- plugs now gapped at .33 per KB recommendation.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Did you silicone all aroud every bolt for the manifold?

Get into everypiece of the manifold and blower and make sure there are no cracks. Look closely with a flashlight, look how things are sitting. Wiggle the connectors on the injectors and spark plugs. Look for something simple.

KB sent me a intake manifold that was cracked. They promptly repalced it and made it right, but none the less, double check. Go slow, you will find something.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:57 AM
falcon42

Thanks Simon - didn't think about sealing each bolt - will do that this weekend. Rest will be search w/carb cleaner everywhere. Thanks Steve
Old 07-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by falcon42
Thanks Simon - didn't think about sealing each bolt - will do that this weekend. Rest will be search w/carb cleaner everywhere. Thanks Steve
It was in my directions to do so. I thought they were crazy so I started the motor with a bolt out. It sucked all kinds of air in. Also, where the bypass goes in, were you very particular about making sure it sealed correctly?

Your symptoms sound like a vacuum leak, but, I am no mechanic.

With the bolts, just squeeze a bunch in the holeand put some on the threads. I think it's high temp RTV you need. It's gray. Keep some paper towels available and wipe it immediately and follow of with a solvent to get rid of the stuff. It's messy.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Just for the manifold. The blower should have an O-ring and for added measure you can put some down between the bolts and the o-ring.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:51 PM
falcon42

Post script - on the KB error code issue - took the wise advice and spent an entire afternoon with gasket RTV applying on both ends of every vacuum line on the car as well as re applying to the bolts - and it solved it - thanks all - now have a respectable 445 HSP on call whenever needed or wanted...

Quick Reply: Error codes on KB 2.6 Install - 08 Bullitt