Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Aftermarket shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Callinectes
1st Gear Member

Default Aftermarket shifters?

I've been looking at shifters from Steeda, Roush and my old standby from the 70's, Hurst. Can anyone with any experience with any of these give me any insight? I seem to be missing 3rd gear more than I would like, and it cannot POSSIBLY be me!
Old 08-04-2011, 12:32 AM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Welcome! I cannot speak to experiences with any shifters but Hurst, as my car had Hurst already when I bought it. I drove a few GT's when I was shopping, and I can say from experience that the Hurst shifter is much improved from stock in some ways, but is a little bit "inferior" if you're too picky. Firstly, even when I bought the car and was not used to it - I have never missed one shift. It goes in sequence SO easily it's surprising. Almost as if it naturally wants to go "1,2,3,4,5" you just have to tell it when. The throws are much shorter (well, I should say noticeably shorter at least) than factory. The downside, is the amount of noise the thing makes. It is terribly "clunky" and noisy, and tends to vibrate and rattle a lot going down the road. Holding your hand over it eliminates this though. But I have read this is the norm, and that people who "improve" them during install, do not have this problem. I did not install mine, but I am thinking of taking it out and doing the "silencing" modifications to it myself.

All in all I have no doubt if all that was done when the original owner installed it, this would be a great shifter and not nearly as clunky and noisy. It is a blast to drive. But you might look into MGW shifters as well. They seem pricey but the word around here is they are definitely worth it.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

MGW all the way.
I have one and it is worth every cent. Solid as a rock and very adjustable.
I hear alot about rattles and having to lube other brands.
No such issues here, just solid throws and a quick shove forward into third; hits it every time.
Did I mention I can shift while cruising with only my thumb and index finger without moving my forearm off the console?

Edit: Forgot to add you can adjust the shifter left or right AND height AND throw. I don't think any other brand allows this.

Last edited by Ricardo; 08-04-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:09 AM
bones302
2nd Gear Member

definitely not you. That's why I had to get a short throw. If you are looking for a reasonably-priced solution, I would go with the Roush. I got a brand new Roush short throw for less than $150. it takes a few hundred miles to break in, but I like it. Lots of good feedback on MGW's.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Callinectes
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. I'm very impressed with what I see of the MGW, and it actually costs less than the Hurst and the Steeda. The Roush is a little cheaper, but the MGW is so...adjustable! Sounds like what I need!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Thundersteel
2nd Gear Member

MGW FTW!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:56 AM
Cutting
1st Gear Member

Another MGW vote. In a different league. Call the shop to place your order and you'll really see what its all about
Old 08-06-2011, 09:56 AM