Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

The BEST supercharger SOUND?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 11:41 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
I checked on the Magnuson. They do sound great. Only problem is that they only make them for the 05-08. They do not have a kit for the 2010.

I also noticed (on Youtube videos), that the cars with Vortechs do not have any supercharger sound at all. They haul a$$ but they do not any whine at least that I can hear on the videos. Is this really the case with Vortechs?
They have a whistle at idle and when accelerating normally, but when you really get into it the sound is overpowered by the engine. The only thing you hear after that is the blow off during the shifts. So yeah, in terms of sound they aren't that great because they don't really sound off. That being said, when you're sitting at idle the person sitting next to you will know something is going on under the hood if they're listening.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

My exhaust drounds it out a little bit, but during the burnout you can really hear it.

This pass was 100% street trim with all my tools and gear in the car. Full tank of fuel.

KB @15-16 psi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxs5nCbSJbY
Old 08-15-2011, 02:38 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
I also noticed (on Youtube videos), that the cars with Vortechs do not have any supercharger sound at all. They haul a$$ but they do not any whine at least that I can hear on the videos. Is this really the case with Vortechs?
I love it.. it's very stealthy except for at idle, and it's only really audible from inside the cabin@WOT.

It really does sound like a winding jet turbine about to take off lulz

I surprised a few people since I first got it.. really sounds like a "stock" GT until I get on it.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:22 AM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

i love the sound of the Kenne Bells...they have a really strong sound to me
Old 08-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

My KB is quiet. Definitely not a loud twinscrew. Saleens are so much louder.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:01 PM
marirockz

Oh hai!
I have a rousch..
Old 08-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

IMO the roush sounds the best. Love that whine. Loud and very noticeable. Runner up would be the saleen IMO.

KB's make nice noise but they need to be spun up pretty good. Leastways the 2.6 sure does.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:37 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Seriously though, the tone of the supercharger should not be the biggest factor in determining which charger you buy. It should be how much power you want, do you plan to build up the motor, can you afford it if the motor goes, if auto can your trans handle it? I know you are considering these things, just pointing it out. The whine of the m90 was a bonus for me, although I always loved the sound of those stock eatons on the lightnings.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:49 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Seriously though, the tone of the supercharger should not be the biggest factor in determining which charger you buy. It should be how much power you want, do you plan to build up the motor, can you afford it if the motor goes, if auto can your trans handle it? I know you are considering these things, just pointing it out. The whine of the m90 was a bonus for me, although I always loved the sound of those stock eatons on the lightnings.
I have decided on the M90 setup. Any of the systems out there will get to the power I am looking for. So for me it was about the sound. I'm going to do the M90 with the VMP 500HP kit.

Thanks for all the input. I'm placing my order in the morning!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:43 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Roots blowers definitely make the most noise. I'd still prefer a twin screw or centri over a roots.

Quick Reply: The BEST supercharger SOUND?!?