Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Exhaust Fabrication question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:11 PM
rlwyatt88

Default Exhaust Fabrication question

Ok,

So I've been pricing and looking at H pipes and crossovers, specifically, parts that delete the Catalytic converters. I've got a cold air, 62 MM intake, fuel injectors, and a BrenSpeed 91 tune.

I know Im not going to get much, if any gains form cat removal. here's my question:

I've got the tools and know-how to remove the stock Cats and use the stock H Pipe. I plan on using a bench grinder and a wire brush bit to sand and powder coat the stock pipe after I add the longer piece. I will be cutting, welding, and grinding both the inside and outside of the stock pipe. it will be smooth. WHY PAY $200 FOR A REMAKE OF A STOCK PART? Pypes, Gibson, etc... they all look the same, and I seriously doubt that .25 of an inch adds much if anything at the wheels. YOUR THOUGHTS?

I want to add some sort of muffling system between the H Pipe and the exhaust tips. WOULD RACE BULLETS OR A FLOWMASTER/THRUSH/CHERRY BOMB DUAL IN/DUAL OUT BE BETTER?

BrenSpeed turned off my O2 sensors on the exhaust. Word from them, they do nothing other than read output info. They do not regulate anything regarding fuel/air ratio. CAN I JUST CUT THESE OFF??

If I Run a muffling system (Read Above) between the H and Mid pipes, can I run straight pipes out the rear without sounding like a hill billy's Tacoma?

I want flow and sound, but I don't want trouble. I need straight up feedback. Keep in mind, before you shoot me a link to whatever bolt on you bought, I'd rather do it myself. Not your typical half a$$ed garage modder.

Thanks, and so far, this forum has been awesome. friendly and full of smart, no BS advice and info.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:10 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

If you run straight out the rear, I would suggest resonators on the end like Mac Boomtubes or some of the others. they give enough flow and also prevent the hillbilly tacoma effect.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:51 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I run cherry bombs and pypes m80/ as resonators before the over axle pipe. They can be had for cheap too.