Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

shredded another belt...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 10:53 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Default shredded another belt...

I was simply cruising along and heard a "phoomp" and felt a loss of power, I knew it was the belt. I have the electric water pump so I continued the few miles to where I was going. Replaced the belt with the spare I keep with me, started it up and the spare was instantly cut.
One of the idler pullies was sheared at he rim about 3/4 of the way around. I guess it's time for beefier components all the way around. I'll try and get a pic of the pulley later ust for posterity because daaam, it's just, destroyed.

I was all feeling smug about being prepared, that smugness didn't last long.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:37 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

That'll teach you to only keep one spare!
Old 11-30-2011, 01:30 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

haha, i can imagine him "oh damn, oh well i got a spare <fastforward 5 mins>, oh yea time to get goin <belt shreds> SON OF A ***** MOTHER F*****!!!!!!!!"
Old 11-30-2011, 01:51 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Yup, ^ that's the cliff notes version.

and who would really expect to need a second spare... but it's been that kind of week.
On the plus side, the electric water pump allowed me to get of the freeway to a convenient location, and then to a garage after the spare was ruined.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:25 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i'd say you were prepared pretty well, i think most of us only
carry one spare belt and a 1/2" breaker bar for the tensioner.

it's good to know you can limp home with the eH2o pump... that
pump just paid for itself!

post pics of the culprit if you can, we appreciate it.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:33 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

What pump are you running?
Old 11-30-2011, 04:37 PM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

I carry a spare. Perhaps I need to carry 2.

I'd like to see pictures as well.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:57 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
What pump are you running?
It's the meziere electric water pump. I'm thinking you still wouldn't want to go too far since I think the oil pump is also belt driven, I went about 5-6 miles and at least the water temp never made it out of the normal range... You are running completely on battery power, so I turned off fog lights and stereo and didn't use turn signals so I wouldn't run out of spark, not sure how far you could go on just battery, but the battery was still strong after 5-6 miles.
Do you think I would be assuming correctly that a full synthetic oil would allow you to go farther before risking damage from lack of active lubrication?

I will try to get pics of the pulley, I wasn't able to get to my car today because of work, but amazingly I was able to get the replacement and a spare belt today. WHich is near impossible with these 125"/6 rib belts.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:14 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I replaced my stock battery and its rated at 95 minutes of reserve power, what that actually equates to when driving, I am not sure. As for the lubrication, def don't want to run far without oil pumping but synthetic is better than conventional in this case. Also, if you use something like Zmax or Lucas oil additives, that are supposed to soak deep in to the metal, are going to be your best friend.

If you aren't far from needing to replace your oil, I would move the next change up just in case you ended up burning some of it and created some gunk. Not a huge chance that a little trip like that did catastrophic damage as long as your coolant was still pumping.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:59 AM
flounderlipps
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
It's the meziere electric water pump. I'm thinking you still wouldn't want to go too far since I think the oil pump is also belt driven, .
The oil pump is crank driven. And the oil pump gears should be upgraded to billet gears Especially with a blower.

http://www.trianglespeedshop.com/tsss-products/

Quick Reply: shredded another belt...