Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Cooling mods/Boost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 03:21 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default Cooling mods/Boost?

When it comes to longevity, boost, and the stock motor.. would it be smart to focus on "cooling mods" in order to avoid detonation?

I was thinking about doing the following mods when I get t the R2300 down the line;

8 psi (maybe 10)
AFCO dual fan heat exchanger
Granatelli Aluminum Radiator
Killer Chiller (A/C supported cooling system drops Intercooler temps by 55 degrees)
http://www.killerchiller.com/about.htm
Granatelli Motorsports coils rated at 45,000 volts
(to get the most spark, kinda overkill, I know lol)
180 thermostat

90 octane canned tune (yeah, I know.. but it's all we have up here)

Is it possible to have too much of a good thing? Like the temps being "too cold"???

Not trying to run 500+whp on the stock motor, more like keep what I got and have it stay cool, reliable and all in one piece at 440-450whp..

My V3 would run hot after a few runs and low 12's turns into mid 13s REAL QUICK lol
Old 12-06-2011, 11:28 AM
tbar
2nd Gear Member

I'd pass on the aftermarket coils there's no benefit & I've heard alot of issues with them. I don't think there's such a thing as to cold.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:44 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

simple and cheap is a IC reservoir that you can drain and fill with ice water for the track.
on the street, my HO Whipple kit never had any overheating issues.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

AFCO dual fan, upgraded IC pump. That's all I would bother doing if I were you.

+1 stick with stock coil packs.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:07 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Yeah, I figure, keep it simple rather than over the top
Old 12-07-2011, 08:53 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

I'd love to give you some first-hand experience with the benefits of water/meth, but I can never find any time to finish installing the damn thing.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

The GMS coils were crap for me. Failure after failure.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:00 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moochman4life
I'd love to give you some first-hand experience with the benefits of water/meth, but I can never find any time to finish installing the damn thing.
lol, same here...

What are you IATs like when you get into boost? If you're into cool air already, methanol might not help as much. Here in Texas, where it's 90+ half the year,
it makes a little more sense. Even so, when I had a vortech and a/a fmic, I'd normally see iats only a few degrees above ambient. But it definitely liked cooler air, as does my KB now.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:26 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Engine water temperatures and IATs are pretty much independent. Best for the enigne is to run a constant 195degrees just like the factory thermostat. Do everything you can to keep the IATs down. But running the air conditioner seems excessive plus that will put more heat in the motor and lower gas mileage.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:08 AM
moochman4life
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
lol, same here...

What are you IATs like when you get into boost? If you're into cool air already, methanol might not help as much. Here in Texas, where it's 90+ half the year,
it makes a little more sense. Even so, when I had a vortech and a/a fmic, I'd normally see iats only a few degrees above ambient. But it definitely liked cooler air, as does my KB now.
Ripping around town on a hot day, my AITs don't usually get above 110 or so. However, out on the track, I've seen them climb as high as 140...but that's 20-30 minute runs, 4 times a day, sometimes with only an hour and some change to cool down...and maybe some runs through the skid pad mixed in.

That's why I need to finally finish my water/meth: keep the car running efficiently during long runs to max hp/tq (prevent excessive loss due to a hot *** running car, really).

Quick Reply: Cooling mods/Boost?