Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 11-20-2015, 12:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Rear lower control arms, Worth it?? Best brand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:25 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

yeah Im gonna need these then, why would a lower ride height compromise my straight line traction? I was planning on lowering the car with coilovers but I'm a little worried about the clearance from my long tubes
Old 12-21-2011, 09:23 PM
MurrietaStang

When you lower your car you end up changing the angle of the lower control arms such that the front of the arm is lower than the back. Thus when you accelerate and push the vehicle with the rear wheels the force causes the lcas to not brace against the load whereas if you use relocation brackets and bring the rear of the arm lower than the front then accretion causes the wheels to be firmly planted to the ground from the load. In a sense with the rear of the arm lower during acceleration it has to kind of push up against the weight of the car.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:54 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DTMR
yeah Im gonna need these then, why would a lower ride height compromise my straight line traction? I was planning on lowering the car with coilovers but I'm a little worried about the clearance from my long tubes
The technical answer to your question is that lowering your car changes the angle of the lower control arms with respect to the body, and that change reduces the anti-squat characteristics of the factory geometry. As such, the general consensus on all of the forums is that if you lower an S197, you should install LCA relocation brackets in order to restore the anti-squat and improve traction.

However, plenty of people hook well without the relo brackets.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:22 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Steeda billet
Old 12-23-2011, 09:56 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
LCAs help prevent wheel hop, not so much tire spin.
Silly question maybe, but what tire setup do you currently have? If you have the stockers, sure your gonna break loose...with some big fatties, not so much with 3.31's.
285 or 295's out back will help more out of the hole than lca's imo, if wheelspin is your problem. I can stomp on the gas at a dead stop with 295's and its all in the pants right from the getgo with little wheelspin....then chirp, chrip
Sounds like you have too much mustard (power) and not enough bologna (rubber).
Old 12-23-2011, 11:03 PM
MurrietaStang

Originally Posted by mayo
Silly question maybe, but what tire setup do you currently have? If you have the stockers, sure your gonna break loose...with some big fatties, not so much with 3.31's.
285 or 295's out back will help more out of the hole than lca's imo, if wheelspin is your problem. I can stomp on the gas at a dead stop with 295's and its all in the pants right from the getgo with little wheelspin....then chirp, chrip
Sounds like you have too much mustard (power) and not enough bologna (rubber).
Mayo, what tires are you running? I have 275 Sumitomo HRZ II and they spin all day, lol. I'm looking to get some better tread myself.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:04 AM
sonnier
2nd Gear Member

Tires make a big difference in the traction equation. I'm running 275 Nitto Invos out back and when I had them installed I almost thought my car was down on power because they wouldn't break loose and act as squirrely as the Hankooks I had before them. Neither is as good as the BFG KDWs I had before but due to circumstances both times I needed tires right away and got what I could in a short time.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:26 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

lol @ people being able to stomp it on street tires from a standstill and only chirping it. Must be nice.

I kinda miss those good ole 3.31 geared days. NOT!!!!

LCAs didn't do anything for grip on my car, they stopped wheel hop and help keep the rear end in place. Just my experience with them.

Street tires don't help my car much either, I went through a set of BFG KDW II & now have Nitto 555 and both tires easily spin through 2nd and into 3rd under full throttle. I've been told drag radials help but IDK, gotta watch the weather with those things.

And SteedaGus, feel free to send me a pair of those billet arms for some testing!
Old 12-24-2011, 05:53 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MurrietaStang
Mayo, what tires are you running?
Nitto 295/45/18.
Need some gear myself at this point. Nothing a trip to brenspeed can't fix
Old 12-24-2011, 07:45 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

i have the crappy as hell stock pirelli tires on the stock 17s right now. I know that they are a major part of the problem but I wanted to wait till at least spring to get fat new wheels and sticky summer tires and wanted to upgrade the suspension while I wait. I had sumitomo tires on my old GT that had 3.55s but it isn't putting as much power down as my new one. This one has the 3.31s which i want to upgrade to 3.55s or 3.73s which is gonna make it break even more so I wanted to know what suspension upgrades will help the tires handle extra power. I wanna put 10in or wider wheels in the back too

Quick Reply: Rear lower control arms, Worth it?? Best brand?