Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Motorcraft SP514 Spark Plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 06:59 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

What is the model # for champions that go in our cars? Those are also gonna be different for the two years right?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:57 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

What is the model # for champions that go in our cars? Those are also gonna be different for the two years right?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:30 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Yes, they will be different. The "one piece" plugs for the 05-mid08's is 7989.

Really thinking about calling up a dealer on this one at some point to figure this out.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:54 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Guys, the issue with the plugs on the 05-08's wasn't that it was a 2 piece (although that obviously didn't help), it was the fact that ford use a copper (I think) coating on the porcelain part that sits in the head. Over time the carbon would bind to the copper and create the seizing issues.

Now all the Ford plugs are a "stronger" 2 piece, and they now use Nickel to coat the plug, which won't lead to the build up and frustrating plug swaps. You can go get 1 piece plugs that are $12 a piece or get a set of Motorcraft for $65. I've never heard of any running issues with the Motorcraft plugs, I'll be using the SP-514's this spring when I swap out mine.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:01 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
Guys, the issue with the plugs on the 05-08's wasn't that it was a 2 piece (although that obviously didn't help), it was the fact that ford use a copper (I think) coating on the porcelain part that sits in the head. Over time the carbon would bind to the copper and create the seizing issues.

Now all the Ford plugs are a "stronger" 2 piece, and they now use Nickel to coat the plug, which won't lead to the build up and frustrating plug swaps. You can go get 1 piece plugs that are $12 a piece or get a set of Motorcraft for $65. I've never heard of any running issues with the Motorcraft plugs, I'll be using the SP-514's this spring when I swap out mine.
I know you were supposed to coat the part that sits in the head with the nickel anti-seize, I've never heard of the copper vs. nickel. Interesting.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:09 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
I know you were supposed to coat the part that sits in the head with the nickel anti-seize, I've never heard of the copper vs. nickel. Interesting.
Yes, THAT was the reason they were getting all messed up, not necessarily the 2 piece design, but the part of the plug that sat in the head wasn't nickel coated.

Like I said, I have all the confidence in the world with the new plugs, and will use them come spring when I swap mine out. Hopefully mine aren't that bad with only 32k on the clock.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:13 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

I've got 42k on my 08, and am hoping for the best. I think I'm going to call a dealer sometime and figure out what the deal is with these, because a lot of people are claiming they spoke with service managers and what not and they claim they are one piece. Very interested.

I'd go with Champion, but so many people seem to have problems. When they run great, they're great. When they don't, then, yeah. You're out a lot of money.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:16 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Exactly, just run the Motorcraft ones and be done with it. No need to spend way more and not be assured it'll run good. I've never heard issues with the ford ones.

For $65 for all 8, they are a hell of a lot cheaper than the champions if they are 1 piece.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

A two piece plug is a two piece plug. I haven't heard of anyone breaking the one piece plugs while taking them out and they have been out way longer than the SP514.

While the breakages aren't directly related to the plug being two pieces, it is a contributing factor. A One piece has one less weak point and more importantly highly unlikely to break like the two piecers.

As for implying the champions won't run well or "not be assured it'll run good" had them in my car for 30K+ zero problems. I've heard of maybe one or two people having problems with them and that's because the porcelain was cracked out of the box. They didn't realize it until after they installed them.

That can happen with any plug and if they buy from a reputable place they can get the defective plugs exchanged.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

[QUOTE=Derf00;7838947]A two piece plug is a two piece plug. I haven't heard of anyone breaking the one piece plugs while taking them out and they have been out way longer than the SP514.

While the breakages aren't directly related to the plug being two pieces, it is a contributing factor. A One piece has one less weak point and more importantly highly unlikely to break like the two piecers.

As for implying the champions won't run well or "not be assured it'll run good" had them in my car for 30K+ zero problems. I've heard of maybe one or two people having problems with them and that's because the porcelain was cracked out of the box. They didn't realize it until after they installed them.

That can happen with any plug and if they buy from a reputable place they can get the defective plugs exchanged.[/QUOTE

Same here. 50K miles without a single problems with the Champions. My OE plugs were changed at only 40K miles and 6 of 8 broke. Put a 2 piece back in? Not just no, hell no. I already have another set of Champions on the shelf for when I am ready to change again. I do have a learning curve.

Quick Reply: Motorcraft SP514 Spark Plug