Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Dynoed with Detroit Rocker blower cams

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Default Dynoed with Detroit Rocker blower cams

After a 5 month wait for TCI to send me the Super Streetfighter transmission, and a 2 week wait for my very busy mechanic to install the Detroit Rocker cams, I managed to take the car to a dyno to see the results of all this wait and money spent.

First run in, the car put down 412rwhp. And I immediately went "WTF". Then the second run, 425rwhp.

The dyno guy pulled me aside and asked my how high I was revving, and I told him "up to redline", which I, being a total dyno newbie, thought was 6000rpm. The guy told me to rev it to 7000rpm, or until it hit the limiter (which is set by Brenspeed at 6800rpm; not gonna mess with that).

Next run in, revved the living crap out of my baby, to about 6500rpm before pussying out: 475rwhp!!! I inmediately turned off the car, and jumped out just laughing hysterically. I couldn't believe the graph. "Could 500rpm make THAT much of a difference in hp!?". The guy told me he noticed the hp curve hadn't peaked yet, and kept climbing, and that's how he noticed I was shutting off earlier.

One last run, all or nothing. 6800rpm of DEAFENING, catless, longtube V8 howl... 486rwhp. 382rwtq. And the graph kept climbing!

11.5 A/F mixture all the way. And this is from a revised mail order tune from Brenspeed. They managed to get it right, first try!

I am so stoked right now. These numbers FAR surpass my 450-460rwhp prediction with my mod combination. The Detroit Rocker blower cams completely transformed this car into a whole other animal.

I can't wait to take it to the track, but even my mechanic who installed the cams told me not to bother going to the track without some drag radials. That I may even crash if I attempted a street tire run. LOL. So maybe in a few months, some new wheels, and Nitto 555r's are in order.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:50 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Nice. A Novi will build more power with more rpms.
And good advice on tires: don't try it on the track with street tires, they wont grip.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:54 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I like your mechanic. You must have tires before going to the track. With that kind of power its downright dangerous. With my measly 420 rwhp I cant imagine not having proper tires.
Congrats on the new numbers. How do you like the new lope? How about some vids too?
Old 03-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

http://youtu.be/9KQMAegdqms

Video of me showing off to my coworkers, so please excuse the corporate drone attire.

The lope is even better than I hoped, for a blower cam. I have my idle set at 750rpm. But it's never the same hearing youtube videos of cammed mustangs, than standing behind one and actually feeling the pulses of the exhaust pressing against your chest.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:30 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Sounds really sweet with your setup. Must be loud as hell at WOT. Car looks great too. Your corporate drone attire is the opposite of mine. Shorts and a polo shirt for me.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Sounds AMAZING... it's crazy how much cooler cams make the motor sound
Old 03-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Brenspeed set my rev limit at 6800 RPM also and I was bouncing off the limiter a bit and then backed it down to 6500. But if I was still making crazy power above 6500 I'd have left it alone too. Congrats on the #'s and she sounds incredible.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

I specially like the way the Paxton idle whistle now goes more like a "phew-phew-phew-phew" kind of sound. Really cool.

And thanks for the compliments, everyone.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:27 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Don't want to scare anyone but I was under the assumption you are taking a risk of blowing the stock oil pump up and destroying the engine past 6200 rpm.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
After a 5 month wait for TCI to send me the Super Streetfighter transmission, and a 2 week wait for my very busy mechanic to install the Detroit Rocker cams, I managed to take the car to a dyno to see the results of all this wait and money spent.

First run in, the car put down 412rwhp. And I immediately went "WTF". Then the second run, 425rwhp.

The dyno guy pulled me aside and asked my how high I was revving, and I told him "up to redline", which I, being a total dyno newbie, thought was 6000rpm. The guy told me to rev it to 7000rpm, or until it hit the limiter (which is set by Brenspeed at 6800rpm; not gonna mess with that).

Next run in, revved the living crap out of my baby, to about 6500rpm before pussying out: 475rwhp!!! I inmediately turned off the car, and jumped out just laughing hysterically. I couldn't believe the graph. "Could 500rpm make THAT much of a difference in hp!?". The guy told me he noticed the hp curve hadn't peaked yet, and kept climbing, and that's how he noticed I was shutting off earlier.

One last run, all or nothing. 6800rpm of DEAFENING, catless, longtube V8 howl... 486rwhp. 382rwtq. And the graph kept climbing!

11.5 A/F mixture all the way. And this is from a revised mail order tune from Brenspeed. They managed to get it right, first try!

I am so stoked right now. These numbers FAR surpass my 450-460rwhp prediction with my mod combination. The Detroit Rocker blower cams completely transformed this car into a whole other animal.

I can't wait to take it to the track, but even my mechanic who installed the cams told me not to bother going to the track without some drag radials. That I may even crash if I attempted a street tire run. LOL. So maybe in a few months, some new wheels, and Nitto 555r's are in order.
Try finding a set of OEM take wheels and put mickey Thompson tires on them. Not Nittos.

Quick Reply: Dynoed with Detroit Rocker blower cams