Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Engine died and seized

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

Ive had bad luck with ryoal purple, after 2k miles got a lifter tick.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:59 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmitchell373
Ive had bad luck with ryoal purple, after 2k miles got a lifter tick.
Mobil 1 all the way
Old 04-09-2012, 01:47 AM
cstich08

I started pulling stuff apart today. I pulled off the air intake and throttle body to get a look in the manifold and low and behold it was full of metal shavings. My best guess at the moment is a broken timing chain? But I'm not positive. Its not looking good
Old 04-09-2012, 02:13 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

If you have metal shavings in your intake... there is more going on than just a busted chain (although that could be the start). Did you take pix?

You may just want to have it towed and start looking at forged blocks... short if you have time to build it and long if you have money to drop it in.

For future reference, unless you're prepared to park it for a while. When you hear something terrible coming from the engine, don't try turning it on again. That most likely caused further damage.

Need to get the valve covers and time chain cover off asap and take pix.

Last edited by JCON; 04-09-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 AM
cstich08

Originally Posted by JCON
If you have metal shavings in your intake... there is more going on than just a busted chain (although that could be the start). Did you take pix?

You may just want to have it towed and start looking at forged blocks... short if you have time to build it and long if you have money to drop it in.

For future reference, unless you're prepared to park it for a while. When you hear something terrible coming from the engine, don't try turning it on again. That most likely caused further damage.

Need to get the valve covers and time chain cover off asap and take pix.
Yeah I know there is more damage than just the chain but I meant that I think thats what was the initial problem. I did take a picture, its not a great representation but I'll post it anyways when I get a chance.

The issue for me is time, money and a place to work on it considering I'm in college living on campus.

Yeah I figured It wasn't a great idea but at the same time I wasn't completely sure I'd heard what I had heard because it was sudden and unexpected and because there was no external sign from leakages or internal sign from OBD. Since I had had problems with it coming to a gurgling stop before when I would cold start it on the aftermarket tune I thought I would go ahead and try to restart it. In retrospect, not the greatest decision.

I guess theres no point in taking it to a dealership or mechanic, but thats inevitably what my parents will tell me to do. I figure they'll just tell me to scrap it and get a new car? or would they actually try to fix it?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Most likely broke a rocker or lifter or valve and it fell into the cylinder. Then, all hell broke loose.

Prepare to replace your motor. Hopefully the block is good.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:11 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

yep sounds gone to me, maybe you can pick up someones stocker. search the web you may be able to find a used one for pretty cheap, but if it was me i would use that money toward going built. wonder if your tune had something to do with it, you did say it had a hard time starting after the tune. to bad its not through a code or you were not running your tunner on data logging
Old 04-09-2012, 03:12 PM
cstich08

Here is a picture looking into the intake manifold. Hopefully I embed this right. I haven't uploaded any pictures since I did that gear install write up.

There's actually a pool of oil in the back of the manifold if you look closely
Old 04-09-2012, 06:23 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The oil is pretty normal if you don't have a catch can.

The whipple intake has a nice place for oil to collect.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:01 PM
cstich08

Originally Posted by moosestang
The oil is pretty normal if you don't have a catch can.
Oh okay I didn't know that. I'm guessing the rest of my manifold contents are still not normal.

Quick Reply: Engine died and seized