Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Engine died and seized

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:31 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

CStich, just take it to a reputable speed shop in TX and have them tear it down, replace parts with forged internals and get ahead of the game. If you're going to spend the money to fix it, might as well do it right.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:33 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
CStich, just take it to a reputable speed shop in TX and have them tear it down, replace parts with forged internals and get ahead of the game. If you're going to spend the money to fix it, might as well do it right.
yeah +1 to JCON you can get all forged internals with low compression and boost it up like crazy, or you can go all motor and get a stroker kit with high compression or even just have forged internals with raised compression
Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 PM
BAB GT
2nd Gear Member

Not sure in TX you are, but if you can get it to Triangle Speed Shop in Orange, TX, I am sure they can fix you up. They specialize in '05 and up Mustangs and have always done excellent work for me. Just got a JLT 3 CAI and dynotune there last week. They were the only shop I trusted with my '96 S/C F-150.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 AM
cstich08

Originally Posted by DTMR
yeah +1 to JCON you can get all forged internals with low compression and boost it up like crazy, or you can go all motor and get a stroker kit with high compression or even just have forged internals with raised compression
Yeah as cool as all of this would be my main issue right now is money. As a college student I don't really have a spare 4k to drop on an engine build. In fact, I'm kind of depending on my parents to get the thing running again and unfortunately he who has the money makes the rules, and forged internals with low compression and boost is not a part of his plan.

I'm no longer in dallas, I'm at OU in Norman so shops would need to be around OKC.

Also, I got the valve covers off last night and found the extent of the damage. only one intake valve broke which is... good? I don't really know. I'll post pictures later.

What really has me baffled though is that both timing chains are in tact so I'm back to square one on what the hell could have initially caused all of this. Also, like an idiot I tried to pull the spark plug on the problem cylinder and of course it broke. Not really sure what to do about it at this point. It's obviously not the end of the world but still annoying.

I'll get those pics up later today.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:24 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Can find all the parts for the broken valve? How does the spring look? Is the head chipped at all?

I know forged internals sound expensive but you you had to replace internals at all, labor will probably be the most expensive part so again you might as well do it. Don't have to go crazy with low compression internals or even have more fun NA with higher compression. But ask the shop how much it would cost for OEM vs standard forged. Also it could be a fluke in manufacturing and the valve bent a little and decided to go boom. That ticking was probably the valve hitting the head. At some point it decided it had enough and broke. The tune could have caused the timing to advance to far and one little slip up could have caused a misfire (although you would have a code) and then the next firing may have actually bent the valve. We have variable cams on our cars so the cams themselves may have caused the issue (again possibly tune related).

a full tear down is needed. If those metal bits got in to the other cylinders... IT MUST BE REMOVED.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cstich08
Yeah as cool as all of this would be my main issue right now is money. As a college student I don't really have a spare 4k to drop on an engine build. In fact, I'm kind of depending on my parents to get the thing running again and unfortunately he who has the money makes the rules, and forged internals with low compression and boost is not a part of his plan.

I'm no longer in dallas, I'm at OU in Norman so shops would need to be around OKC.

Also, I got the valve covers off last night and found the extent of the damage. only one intake valve broke which is... good? I don't really know. I'll post pictures later.

What really has me baffled though is that both timing chains are in tact so I'm back to square one on what the hell could have initially caused all of this. Also, like an idiot I tried to pull the spark plug on the problem cylinder and of course it broke. Not really sure what to do about it at this point. It's obviously not the end of the world but still annoying.

I'll get those pics up later today.
bro I totally feel you I'm a college student and Im broke cuz all the money I make goes into my monthly payment for my car and I use what little I have left on parts. I feel bad asking my parents for stuff cuz they're helping me pay for college
Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

But if you did have to build it than you might as well go forged internals they only cheaper option would be to just swap a used motor into it
Old 04-11-2012, 11:23 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

I'm with you on the whole college money thing. Your best bet will probably be finding a used, complete engine to swap in there. I have seen many on s197forum from time to time for well under $1k. Have any friends with an engine lift?!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:16 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Cheapest route is probably going to be to find a running long block from a wrecked stang and drop it in. Could probably find one for close to the cost of having your heads redone and phasers replaced. I spent about 6000 on a forged stroker shortblock to replace my motor, but that included head cleaning, new valves/retainers, new phasers, timing components, gaskets, fluids, etc. But I did everything but rebuild the heads myself.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:07 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Every time my engine light turns on I immediately start thinking of what forged products are going it... And every time it was just an ECU error... One day it will blow up I too am in school and bought a v6 during undergrad because they were much cheaper. Now I am going to graduate from grad school next month so last fall I bought the GT. The advantage of a good full time job while going to school.

Quick Reply: Engine died and seized