Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Probably stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:02 PM
05SatinSilverGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Probably stupid question

I figured i'd post in this section since I want details on wiring up a mechanical boost/vacuum gauge on the S197, the SN95 seems different in the how to's i've seen...unless i'm retarded. Wiring isn't my thing but i'm giving it a go...the ground is done, no problem there. But how do I wire the lighting, just run the power cable from the gauge to the headlight switch or do I run it into an add a circuit-then to the gauge? I'm so lost, thanks in advance! Pictures would be appreciated also. If it matters it's an LED gauge, Autometer Cobalt series.

Last edited by 05SatinSilverGT; 04-29-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:23 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

seems to me gauge power should be run to a switched 12vdc source, i'm
not sure if you have 3 wires (power, ground, lighting) or not, but maybe
something here, will help you out....

http://home.comcast.net/~cookpaging/...augePower.html
Old 04-29-2012, 07:29 PM
05SatinSilverGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
seems to me gauge power should be run to a switched 12vdc source, i'm
not sure if you have 3 wires (power, ground, lighting) or not, but maybe
something here, will help you out....

http://home.comcast.net/~cookpaging/...augePower.html
Yeah I have already seen that write up & it threw me off even more since I only have a ground & a power wire. Thanks for the help though. Anyone else?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:14 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

If you only have a ground and power wire, shouldn't that power wire be providing the light power also?

Is there an accessory line or is it just two wires coming out of the back? Which gauge did you get?

Have you already wired it up to check or are you do preliminary homework?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:20 PM
05SatinSilverGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
If you only have a ground and power wire, shouldn't that power wire be providing the light power also?

Is there an accessory line or is it just two wires coming out of the back? Which gauge did you get?

Have you already wired it up to check or are you do preliminary homework?
The problem is I don't know where to route the power wire, to an add-a-circuit in the fuse box or just to the headlight switch itself. I've wired up the ground wire to a bolt underneath the driver side kick panel but that's it...that was simple enough but the idea of splicing a wire into the headlight switch is nerve racking as is, i'd at least like to make sure that it is the proper way before I do it (was planning on a quick connect if I went that route). Gauge is an Autometer Cobalt #6107...has no wires on the back just 2 male connectors.

Last edited by 05SatinSilverGT; 04-29-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:39 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I would use some type of accessory line like the radio power wire. That way it only turns on when the cars ignition is in the on or ACC position. I would also run an inline fuse on it just in case something goes haywire with the radio.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:51 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

I have a Cobalt, but it is a 6159... Wired to the headlight switch for illumination when the headlights are on, and used an add-a-fuse to the SJB for the power when the key is turned. Forgot exactly which fuse I used, but it probably was one for the radio...

edit:The 6107 is mechanical, so you should probably just run your other wire to your headlight switch.

Last edited by red96v6; 04-29-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:03 PM
05SatinSilverGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by red96v6
I have a Cobalt, but it is a 6159... Wired to the headlight switch for illumination when the headlights are on, and used an add-a-fuse to the SJB for the power when the key is turned. Forgot exactly which fuse I used, but it probably was one for the radio...

edit:The 6107 is mechanical, so you should probably just run your other wire to your headlight switch.
So you're saying there really isn't a need for the add-a-fuse then? Would it be overkill? Like I said, I can work a wrench but anything electrical...forget about it.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:16 PM
05SatinSilverGT
2nd Gear Member

I think I may have figured it out, hopefully, weather permitting, I can finish it up tomorrow. Thanks for the help! I'm still open to suggestions as well.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:40 PM
red96v6
2nd Gear Member

I believe since it is mechanical, those wires are purely for illumination. A fuse would not be necessary to use if you tap in to the headlight switch, LEDs draw next to no current.

Quick Reply: Probably stupid question