Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

JLT intake vs Air Raid

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Default JLT intake vs Air Raid

so I am probably gonna get a cold air intake tomorrow, have it narrowed down to the air raid intake and the JLT series 3 intake.

the JLT needs a tune and the Air Raid doesnt.

how much power with a tune would I expect from the JLT? vs just the Air Raid?

will i feel the boost in power with the tune/intake in the seat?

or should I just get lowering springs?

(car is a stock 64,000 05 GT with just an axleback and a short throw
Old 08-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Beersnob5150
1st Gear Member

Honestly, without a tune, CAIs are worthless. It's all in the tune. All the CAIs on the market are pretty much the same. If it's the Airaid CAI I'm thinking of, the only thing it has is a sleeve inside of it that you can remove when you get a tuner.

Most people on here agree that you gain ~20-30 hp with a CAI and a tune.

As for what to get, it's all in what you want to do to the car and how you want to spend your money. I don't mind how my car sits as far as stance and I think it looks good, so I'm focusing more on performance stuff. To each their own though.

Last edited by Beersnob5150; 08-10-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Robs$tang

I to will be getting a cai soon. From everything I've read like he said without a tune its worthless. The ones that don't require a tune are pretty much the same as your stock just with a better filter. The intakes that do require a tune are a bigger diameter which means more air which means more hp.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:53 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

As said, without a tune it's worthless IMO. I'll tell you that people who have switched from the old JLT to the series 3 have picked up a bit of power, so the bigger size is good. Everything said I love my JLT Series 3 with bama tunes, but I don't think you could go wrong with Airaid either.

Also, there was a HUGE difference after the tunes. I drove a stock car back to back after a while with mine and I couldn't believe how sluggish the car felt.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

gotcha, think I will get the JLT cuz its a few bucks cheaper than the Air Raid, then next pay check Ill order the tuner. depends on what they have in stock when I go to the show tomorrow
Old 08-10-2012, 10:51 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shelty
gotcha, think I will get the JLT cuz its a few bucks cheaper than the Air Raid, then next pay check Ill order the tuner. depends on what they have in stock when I go to the show tomorrow
Keep in mind you won't be able to put on the JLT until you have the tuner. To be honest, I'd buy the tuner first, then the intake. You will notice a nice difference with just the tune.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:27 AM
smokievol
2nd Gear Member

American Muscle can tune both, so if you cannot afford both at this time. Airraid is an option. Plus Airaid is offering a 50.00 rebate till September I believe.
I had an Airaid wo tune and it make it a bit more zip and it sounded better.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

I ordered the JLT, gonna be a week or two till I get it anyway.... may hold off on installing it in case I want to do something else before ordering the tune... which will probably be next week. what would be the best tune for me to get my hands on? 87, 89, 91, 93?

I gotta look at the gas stations cuz i cant remember whats hard to find, 91 or 93... may just go with 89 cuz its everywhere....
Old 08-11-2012, 07:09 PM
08caliGT
1st Gear Member

You won't be able to run it without the tune. Most people daily the 93 race tune if its available.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

3-6 RWHP for a CAI w/o a tune, 20-25 RWHP for a tune-required CAI with a good custom tune (Brenspeed, AM, VMP, etc).

Quick Reply: JLT intake vs Air Raid