Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Best tires for Mustang GT 08

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:40 PM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
I've heard great things about Sumitomos, and they're dirt cheap, which is good for a college student such as myself. I know you can pick up some 285's on tire rack for under $150.

Sorry, wish I could offer some personal experience, but the only experience I have is my fantastic stock dry rotting pirellis that are getting replaced come spring time.
haha my Bridgestone G Force dry rotten too
But I was researching about the Sumitomos and I found a couple of mustang owners on different forums saying that the Nitto were way better and in the same price range!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:43 PM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
Advan makes excellent traction tires but they don't last long.
The Yoko Advan Sports I had (255/45-18, 285/40-18) are completely outclassed by the Continental's (Extreme Contact DW, same sizes) in terms of grip, traction, bite, however you describe it. They would start to spin at the top of 2nd gear, forget about low gear. The Conti's barely spin in low gear and keep grip in 2nd. The Yoko's got extremely loud with miles and rode like a wagon. They gave up traction while cornering all too soon compared to the Continentals. They seemed to be lasting a good while, too, but I took them off at half life because of the noise they made.

I would not have chosen the Continentals but for the Tire Rack surveys. And the set was a couple of hundred $ less than the Yoko's were two years before.

Frank

Last edited by duckbubbles; 08-17-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:17 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Also check out Hankook Ventus EVO and General UHP's both great tires with great traction and super grippy.

The Hankooks have been my favorite to date. For a UHP tire they sure do have a very well rounded tread pattern. i've never seen a tire that displaces water as much as these do, yet grips on dry just as well

I wasn't too fond of my Nitto 555's very chatty as they wore down, but they are still a good option
Old 08-17-2012, 09:20 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

I ran the nitto 555's, NOT the R's, and they were a great tire. Good handling, dry/wet performance, and quiet.

If you needed new tires like 6 months ago your timing would of been perfect. Conti discontinued their 275/40/18 size so I picked up 2 @ $100 each!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:37 AM
French_Frize
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
I ran the nitto 555's, NOT the R's, and they were a great tire. Good handling, dry/wet performance, and quiet.

If you needed new tires like 6 months ago your timing would of been perfect. Conti discontinued their 275/40/18 size so I picked up 2 @ $100 each!
Seems like a very good deal you got there! I'm gonna go check prices this weekend and let you know what I chose!
Old 08-17-2012, 10:20 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Yea like I said I lucked out. I found the largest tire to fit on a stock wheel and searched tirerack. When I sorted by price i was like "WTF $100?" Found their date of manufacture was a few months prior, so I got them.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:22 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Frank, the Advans I’ve driven were Advan Neova AD08, not what you had. They are however an extreme performance summer tire. The car they were on, which I have driven and rode in dyno’ed at 642 rwhp on a Mustang dyno. The previous tires were completely useless. The new Advans gripped like no other car I’ve ever been in. They do however not have a long shelf life. The AD08s are also a very soft compound which is what leads to their superior handling and low mileage rating. I haven’t noted any tire noise but the exhaust/turbos overrides that so I can’t comment. Additionally, the AD08s are expensive, $1,100 for a set of 4 in this case. As for out classing, the Advan AD series on Tirerack.com is actually in the top class whereas the Contis are in the second to the top class.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Thumbs up Michelin Pilot Super Sports

I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Expensive? Yes, but I have never driven on a tire that felt this good. I'd say, worth every penny.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:50 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
265/35 in the front! Jeesus! You front tires are wider than my back tires.

Any of the summer tires will have great traction. I like the yokohama S. drives.
+1 for the Yokohama s drives. I had them on an M3 and they were great great tires. I wouldn't hesitate to put them on something again.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Chevy Convert
2nd Gear Member

Running nitto 555... they are a good value and much better tire than the garbage factory pirelli's

Quick Reply: Best tires for Mustang GT 08