Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Whipple 550 HO Dyno'd

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:51 PM
MurrietaStang

Talking Whipple 550 HO Dyno'd

Just got my car dyno'd this last weekend. Specs: 2008 Mustang GT, Whipple 550 HO, 91 octane pump gas, FRPP tune that came with the Whipple with octane adjust set to Y due to crappy California gas. pretty hot/humid day:

Old 09-17-2012, 05:53 PM
TommyB681
2nd Gear Member

congrats, nice numbers!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:00 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Good numbers, can't complain there.. What were your boost and AFRs looking like?
Old 09-17-2012, 06:04 PM
MurrietaStang

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
Good numbers, can't complain there.. What were your boost and AFRs looking like?
I'm not sure about AFRs but, max boost is reading just over 10 on my autometer gauge. I have the 3.125" pulley.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:20 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MurrietaStang
I'm not sure about AFRs but, max boost is reading just over 10 on my autometer gauge. I have the 3.125" pulley.
Are you sure about your pulley size? The first generation whipples make 10psi with a 3.375 pulley.

They didn't log air/fuel? My whipple tune only made 404hp/412. The air fuel was 10.8:1 at the tail pipe. With my wideband in the rear 02 location I get 10.2:1!!!!!!!!!!!! That is what you call pig rich. I'm running a tune from brenspeed at the moment for 93 oct and it is between 11.0-11.4, so a full point leaner than the whipple tune.

It's worth the $500 just for the improvement in throttle response. Not sure why whipple or frpp chose to leave the throttle response stock or near stock.

What is octane adjust set to Y? Is that an option on the new procal tuners? The old ones had the option of custom tune or stock tune, one switch, no screen, just some flashy light, lol!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:22 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Kind of what I was thinking boost wise.. Good numbers for the FRPP tune, supposed to be really conservative and safe so you shouldn't have any problems.. Feels like a whole other animal doesn't it? haha
Old 09-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

A good dyno tune, that is still safe, will put you around 475 rwhp.

But whqt you got so far is pretty good. Hope you're enjoying it.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:44 PM
MurrietaStang

Originally Posted by moosestang
Are you sure about your pulley size? The first generation whipples make 10psi with a 3.375 pulley.

They didn't log air/fuel? My whipple tune only made 404hp/412. The air fuel was 10.8:1 at the tail pipe. With my wideband in the rear 02 location I get 10.2:1!!!!!!!!!!!! That is what you call pig rich. I'm running a tune from brenspeed at the moment for 93 oct and it is between 11.0-11.4, so a full point leaner than the whipple tune.

It's worth the $500 just for the improvement in throttle response. Not sure why whipple or frpp chose to leave the throttle response stock or near stock.

What is octane adjust set to Y? Is that an option on the new procal tuners? The old ones had the option of custom tune or stock tune, one switch, no screen, just some flashy light, lol!
Yep, it's 3.125 (just checked in case I had a brain fart). The kit said it was supposed to be 12 pounds boost so I'm wondering if my gauge is a little off, although 2 pounds off would seem like a lot.

I got it dyno'd at a car show event for free, they didn't log AFR or anything. I've been thinking of getting it dyno'd somewhere that would provide that info but, I'm happy with the numbers, how it drives, and feel that the FRPP tune is pretty safe. I've heard that the FRPP tune runs pretty rich though.

Octane Adjust is a setting in the Procall tool. They weren't pretty clear on the instructions for it but, from what I've read by searching around is that you should use it if you're running 91 (instead of 93). I tried having it set to N and it seemed like it ran rougher and changed it to Y to be on the safe side.

I keep going back and forth about whether I should get a custom tune done at a shop.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:46 PM
MurrietaStang

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
Kind of what I was thinking boost wise.. Good numbers for the FRPP tune, supposed to be really conservative and safe so you shouldn't have any problems.. Feels like a whole other animal doesn't it? haha
Oh yea, compared to what it was before, it's a world of difference. I don't know why I waited so long, lol. I'm going to need new tires soon
Old 09-17-2012, 08:18 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You could also have a boost leak. I would double check your gauge connections and even go as far as adding spring clamps to the vacuum lines that see boost.

What's the vacuum reading at idle?

Quick Reply: Whipple 550 HO Dyno'd