Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

wheel hop

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 05:31 PM
barney1golf

Default wheel hop

I was test driving an 05 GT with 32000 miles on it. During a right hand turn from a dead stop I was in first gear going about 5-8mph when I finished turning the corner I gave the car very gentle throttle and the rearend started bouncing. I went ahead and shifted to 2nd gear only going about 10-12mph and when I let out on the clutch it did it again. I continued on with the test drive and tried every way in the world to try and repeat what just had happened. I tried with the traction control on and off and could never get it to do this again. My wife even drove the car trying to get it to repeat with no luck. I tried hard take offs and easy take offs both turning and going straight. I did small burnouts and still nothing. All I know is when it happened the first time it felt like the rearend was going to fall out of the car. Has anybody ever experienced anything like this before and what does anyone think it could have been. Thanks for any input you might have. Oh by the way, the car has had a very easy life. Always garaged during winter and owned by a couple in there 60's.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:38 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Very common issue. Mine did it until I replaced the rear lower contol arms. Now I can't remember the last time I wheel hopped it.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Doesn't sound like wheel hop to me. If it only happened during a slow turn, worn out clutch packs in the LSD are more likely.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:46 AM
barney1golf

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Doesn't sound like wheel hop to me. If it only happened during a slow turn, worn out clutch packs in the LSD are more likely.
Do clutch packs normally wear out this fast on these cars? Car only has 32000 miles on it.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Depends on how they are treated. Lots of burnouts and dead hooks can eat up a rear end.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:22 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

My first impression was that it actually was wheelhop, but it could've been caused by driving through a puddle- either from rain, or even from a car sitting at the red light with the A/C on. That could explain the axle bouncing from gentle throttle, but only leaving one intersection.

Either way, as mentioned, suspension upgrades completely cure the wheel hop.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:43 PM
barney1golf

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Depends on how they are treated. Lots of burnouts and dead hooks can eat up a rear end.
I totally understand how a rough life no matter tha miles could effect this. But I know the people that traded it in and they bought it new in 05 and now he is getting ready to retire so they had to be mid to late 50s when they purchased it. I know they don't run there stuff hard. He is a Ford guy and has been all his life. they just took the car on trips and stuff never drove it in the winter or anything. I called him and talked to him to see if he had ever had any issues. When I told him what I felt he just said that it was the way I was driving it. I just laughed. I drive a stick every day to and from work have always had sticks and I know what I felt wasn't right. The dealer still has it I am thinking about driving it again to see if I can make it do it again. I 'm thinking of making an offer on it knowing what I felt and just take my chances.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:33 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Are you sure the wheel was hopping? Reason I ask is because an aggressive clutch can feel like the rear is shaking/hopping if not let out just right. If you all ready had the clutch full released, then it shouldn't matter.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Those darn 60 year olds... SO hard on the machinery with their burn-outs and drifting. When will they grow up?
Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 PM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Try to head back to the exact same spot on your next drive and see if you can replicate it. The rear on these cars will hop quite a bit, especially if the pavement is rough. Even a delicate take-off on rough pavement will make you think you're about to drop the rearend out of it.

Quick Reply: wheel hop