Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Transmission Oil change and cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 03:04 PM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

Default Transmission Oil change and cooler

Hi all
I want to drop the Tx pan and change the filter, fluid and clean the pan. I prefer this to the flush method. I know it only changes about 5-6 quarts but I'd prefer to change it more often and have had good luck ding this with other cars. Is there a "how to" on refilling this transmission with no dip stick. I know the drain plug has an extension in it and it is the fill/level overflow port and somehow you're supposed to refill from that. Does any one have any details on how to do this.

Also I want to install a Tx Oil Cooler (in front of the Rad) in series with the cooler lines in the Rad. Previous coolers I used for other vehicles have a built in bypass to it doesn't over cool the fluid. Any thoughts/comments on which is the line back to the Transmission. I want the fluid to go from the Tx thru the rad cooler first, then the add on cooler and back to the Tx.
Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks
Old 10-28-2012, 10:46 PM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

I found this web site that documents a procedure for changing/refilling the Transmission fluid.
This is what I was looking for. I hope other find this as useful as I will. (I hope the link works - had some issues putting it here - spaces showed weird).

http:iihs.net/fsm/?dir=245&viewfile=Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill - Without Torque Converter Drain Plug.pdf

Also I have learned that the S197 already has an external Tx Oil cooler. Interesting! Still might add a second also as I have found that keeping the oil cool increases the life of the Tx.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:05 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

There is a built in trans cooler.

Most importantly, why are you considering another one? Is your trans running very hot? Are you tracking the car? Is it a high output car? Most guys find it is unnecessary to add additional cooling capacity.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:59 AM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

No not tracking or high output. I don't have a Scan Guage yet either so am not sure of Tx temp. It's preventative only. Most cars have the internal rad cooler and it is supposed to be fine too and some Transmissions fail due to heat so having an extra is just insurance.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:38 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

When you drop the pan to change the filter it would be a great time to add a Performance Automatic 5R55 Deep Aluminum Pan with Filler Tube and Dipstick. This picture illustrates the pan and you can see the filler/dipstick tube. If you are interested I will look for an engine compartment picture that shows the dipstick tube from above? On the drivers side of the pan it was drilled and tapped for a Trans Temp gauge sender.

Name:  S2010023.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  115.9 KB
Old 10-31-2012, 08:08 AM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

I would love to see a photo of how the top part turned out.

I've seen a mod with a 'homemade' tube dipstick in the stock pan. Some tubing and fittings should be fairly easy to install. Was thinking of going to a wrecker to get an old dipstick and tube and find some fittings and making it my self. Only issue is dropping the pan to change the filter and clean the pan - the tube is still attached and vehicle not up on a hoist - just ramps. It would drop down but taking it away to clean would be a bit of a problem. Perhaps a flexible tube something like SS braided water hose 3 feet long. (Just thinking).
Old 11-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

Here is the dipstick tube from above. It sits just to the right of the OEM battery tray (coolant tank sits on the OEM tray):

Name:  IMG_2728.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  118.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2735.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  107.3 KB

The PA dipstick tube has a removable fitting at the pan. Tube is also attached to a starter bolt. Very simple to lower the pan for filter changes. I used ramps to do this install with no issues.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:05 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by BrianK

Also I have learned that the S197 already has an external Tx Oil cooler. Interesting! Still might add a second also as I have found that keeping the oil cool increases the life of the Tx.
ALL vehicles with an automatic transmission have an external cooler of some sorts...
Old 11-02-2012, 08:07 AM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the pictures of the Tx diptube. This is something I want to do.
I like the idea of a removable connection to make the pan droppable. Something to investigate.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:54 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The stock cooler is separate from the radiator in these cars, and is very sufficient.
There's a writeup on how to make your own dipstick. I made one for my 5r55s out of various fittings and hoses, lol. Made filling , and checking, it far easier!
Name:  trans-2d.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  72.6 KB

Quick Reply: Transmission Oil change and cooler