Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Thinking of getting a 301 eagle stroker..

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 11:54 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Default Thinking of getting a 301 eagle stroker..

I looked up a stroker kit, fully forged internals, 11.2:1 compression 301 ci. You can also get 9.2:1 pistons with it. Its made by eagle, but I was wondering 1. will it kill my redline? 2. I can run it on 93 octane?? 3. Anyone have any experience with it before?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:08 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

no one ever built their motor? lol
Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

From everything I have read a stroker kit is not worth it NA. The 4.6 has a small piston which is already close to its limits with the stock stroke length. Stroking just makes the issue worse. Unless youre looking at getting a blower I would stay stock length. There are a few articles on them.
A good option if you want to stay NA is Sean Hylands Big bore kit. It gives you a 3.7" piston but requires heavy machining.
It shouldnt kill the stock 6k? redline piston speeds with forged materials will still be ok.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:07 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I agree with Tanner. I wouldn't do a stroked kit and stay NA. The stroker will move your curve down a bit, which would be fun on the street, but the power gain won't be huge. My stroker still redlined at about 6250 or so, so it didn't change the overall redline from stock.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:52 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Just in case you needed reinforcement. No real point in stroking it if you're staying NA. For the cost of Stroking it, you could just supercharge it and call it a day. Better gains, same price (for basic SC applications).
Old 12-09-2012, 11:53 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
I agree with Tanner. I wouldn't do a stroked kit and stay NA. The stroker will move your curve down a bit, which would be fun on the street, but the power gain won't be huge. My stroker still redlined at about 6250 or so, so it didn't change the overall redline from stock.
well it would be a big change in compression (11.2:1) and right now im turning 6800 rpm cuz of my cams and plan to turn 7000 with the heads and phasers, which is why I was worried about it plus after reading all the stuff that goes wrong with the internals id rather build up the inside to a full forged setup especially after reading the engine blows over 500 hp on stock internals with boost. So i figure with the kit I can have a good NA set up (with the 11.2:1 pistons) or have a good strong boost set up (with the 9.0:1 pistons) either way it should be good, i just dont want to not be able to turn out 6800 rpms anymore
Old 12-09-2012, 11:54 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
Just in case you needed reinforcement. No real point in stroking it if you're staying NA. For the cost of Stroking it, you could just supercharge it and call it a day. Better gains, same price (for basic SC applications).
the internals are too weak stock, they blow over 500 hp i would never boost a car unless i did the internals first, thats why I feel like this kit is a good idea cuz it will give me more power plus set me up for safe boost
Old 12-09-2012, 11:56 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
From everything I have read a stroker kit is not worth it NA. The 4.6 has a small piston which is already close to its limits with the stock stroke length. Stroking just makes the issue worse. Unless youre looking at getting a blower I would stay stock length. There are a few articles on them.
A good option if you want to stay NA is Sean Hylands Big bore kit. It gives you a 3.7" piston but requires heavy machining.
It shouldnt kill the stock 6k? redline piston speeds with forged materials will still be ok.
doesnt heavy machining mean weaker block though? Im turning 6800 right now and plan on turning 7000 with the heads and cam phasers This kit is relatively new though and its from eagle so you know its good
Old 12-10-2012, 12:12 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I want FRPP Hot Rod cams so I can bump my redline to 6,800 but in all honesty I have to ask why you want to hit 7,000? Are you doing a lot of 1/4 mile racing? If not, you're pretty much going for bragging rights as most auto crossing will keep you in the mid range where most of the torque is. I think for most of us, there isn't much of a point in running it that high. Seems unlikely you will be making a significant amount more power above that.

Also, building your engine for compression to stay NA is one thing, building it to go boosted is another. You take your compression to 11.2:1 (good NA number) and boost it high without race fuel and parts will be shooting out of your car faster than 7k rpms can turn. Over 10:1 and 10+PSI, you will need 93 or higher octane to prevent detonation. Some of you boosted guys please correct me if I am wrong.

What are your goals/what do you plan to do with the car?

Last edited by JCON; 12-10-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:45 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I have 470 to the wheel and the motor is fine. If I were u I'd supercharge the car first. Many kits will get you to the 450 range easily. Then go from there. If you scared to run those numbers on a stock block then u may rethink if u wanna FI. Not to mention just bc you have a forged assembly doesn't mean ur car can't blow the motor. Just as a member has asked what r your goals. I'm assuming north of 500. Remember if your going that far with the build the tranny will need to be considered in your build as well

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting a 301 eagle stroker..