Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Do we need egr valves?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Default Do we need egr valves?

I know they shut off at full throttle, but it brings exhaust gases back into the manifold to dull down the combustion so it helps with the environment. But doesnt it also dirty up our engines? What are the benefits of it besides the environment? what is it used for?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:37 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It's purely for emissions, but we don't have egr valves.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
It's purely for emissions, but we don't have egr valves.
We have egr though theres one on the divers side going into the manifold
Old 12-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Nope, that's technically our version of the PCV, but there is no actual "valve" it's just open circulation. Definitely a good reason to have a catch can.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:41 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DTMR
We have egr though theres one on the divers side going into the manifold
Like Diabolical said, that's the pcv valve. An egr valve is bolted to the exhaust manifold on earlier mustangs and re-routes exhaust gases back into the intake manifold. Our engines are supposed to have a form of exhaust gas recirculation using the variable cam timing, but how that actually works, I do not know.

Every newish vehicle has a positive crankcase ventilation valve.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:49 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Like Diabolical said, that's the pcv valve. An egr valve is bolted to the exhaust manifold on earlier mustangs and re-routes exhaust gases back into the intake manifold. Our engines are supposed to have a form of exhaust gas recirculation using the variable cam timing, but how that actually works, I do not know.

Every newish vehicle has a positive crankcase ventilation valve.
then whats that other valve thats there? the hose coming from the intake manifold? not the one we put the catch can on but the other one
Old 12-14-2012, 06:32 AM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

There is one on the driver's side that has been mentioned that goes to the intake manifold which does have a normal pcv valve inside the valve cover(I know since I cut mine out and removed it), and there is one on the passenger side valve cover that goes to the intake tube not the manifold which is completely free flowing with no pcv valve on it. That's it. No EGR at all on our cars...I believe the GT500 has an EGR set-up but not our 4.6 3v's.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:31 AM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Read and learn.

Crank case ventilation.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:30 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dysan
There is one on the driver's side that has been mentioned that goes to the intake manifold which does have a normal pcv valve inside the valve cover(I know since I cut mine out and removed it), and there is one on the passenger side valve cover that goes to the intake tube not the manifold which is completely free flowing with no pcv valve on it. That's it. No EGR at all on our cars...I believe the GT500 has an EGR set-up but not our 4.6 3v's.
where did you get the 302 stroker?
Old 12-14-2012, 05:31 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dysan
where did you get the 302 stroker and stainless steel valves???

Quick Reply: Do we need egr valves?