Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Ford SuperCharger on 2010 manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 AM
manuel86it

Default Ford SuperCharger on 2010 manual

Hi, i'm planning on buying a supercharger in spring, so i started looking around.
I pointed my eyes on Edelbrock, Roush or Ford Racing ones, i think i'll go with the Ford one, because of the calibration made by them. As you can imagine if i mount a roush or a edelbrock here where i live i cannot go to specialized shop to adjust the tune.
On the other side for having the ford calibration i have to start from a bone stock car, so i'll have to put stock components back in the car, right? i mean : stock air filter, stock cams, stock exhaust, it won't be a problem anyway..

But.. here's the question, i was looking on cjponyparts and for my 2010 i founded these two : http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-raci.../M6066MGT400C/
AND
http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-raci.../M6066MGT550C/

The 400hp and 550hp models, what do you recommend and why? Price gap is not really a problem, what i mean is : maybe with the 400hp model i do not have to change other components, and with the 550hp may i have to put better clutch and other things?

Another question : i watched many videos on the net and i see (or should i say hear) different amount of "whine", there are kits where the whine is loud and others not. Why? Of course if i mount a supercharger i would like to hear it, do you think the ford is going to give it? equal the 400hp or 550hp?

as always, sorry for my english! bye!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:45 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Will you be doing the install yourself?

The main difference between the 400 and 550 kit is the latter has the inter-cooler, as well as GT500 fuel system. You dont "need" a clutch, but may end up having to get one with the 550 system. Alot of people are still on their stock clutches with FI so I wouldn't worry too much.

If you're doing the install yourself, I'd just go with the 550 kit because it'll support more power down the road, and the inter-cooler will help with intake temps.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:55 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

look into kenne bell
Old 01-04-2013, 03:21 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Since you all ready have a tune from brenspeed, you might want to consider the roush tvs2300. Ask brenspeed if they have a tune for this blower that will work with your cams.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

U need to call brenspeed and ask them. They are very friendly and great to work with.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:46 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

If you go with the Ford 550 kit, it will come with a tune. You will have to upload your stock tune before you upload the FRPP tune. Alternatively, you can order a Whipple tune from Brenspeed. His tune is quite good. Regardless of what brand you buy, go with an intercooled model.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:23 AM
manuel86it

Hi guys, finally i'm planning to order the Whipple 550hp supercharger by Ford Racing and going to use their tune.
Since i will tear down my car once, i would like to upgrade also the clutch and flywheels, i see on the website that there are a lot of solutions and brands.
My eyes went on Spec, stage 2 or 3 and Exedy Mach 400 and 500.

I will use the Ford Racing tune, that claim 542 ft-lbs of torque with 93 octane. I will use 91 octane fuel, so the torque should be a little less.
Exedy Mach 400 is given to 510 ft-lbs and Spec Stage 2 to 520. Should these model will be enough, or they are raising too much the limit?
What i'm searching is a clutch that act like the most possible like the stock one, i don't want a very heavy and noise clutch. Seems that the next stages (500 for Exedy, or stage3 for Spec) are heavier and harder than the stock. Is is true? If i stay with the lower level, will i get a great daily driveability (which is i'm really looking for)?

Other question, sorry i know i'm being a pain in the ..., but how does a Whipple 550hp affect the mileage? I don't drive very racey, i'm kind of average style driver, most of time going smooth and cruising.

Last edited by manuel86it; 01-17-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 AM
EthanBarnard
1st Gear Member

I envy you so much......
Old 01-17-2013, 05:30 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Good blower choice. Read some reviews and google SPEC before making a final decision. If you want a clutch that can handle high hp and tq but want a stock-like pedal feel, then a twin disc is your best bet. I highly recommend McLeods RST or RXT. Assuming your car will be a mostly street car, the RST would be enough for you.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:12 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The spec stage 2 will be just like stock and is actually rated at 599 ft lbs on specs website. Whatever clutch you choose, I'd get their flywheel with it. Don't try and reuse the stocker. Unfortunately their customer service is horrible, so if you have a problem, you can not count on them for help. I've never had a problem with their clutch that wasn't my fault.

You can always waive the tune and get a little off the price, then buy a sct x3 from brenspeed for your mods. Their wipple tune is great, but you need to ask them about your cams.

Quick Reply: Ford SuperCharger on 2010 manual