Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Lowering 07

Old 01-07-2013, 11:17 PM
hemery13

Default Lowering 07

Hi guys, I have a 07 mustang gt and was wondering what all parts I had to have to lower it. Kinda confused, do I just have to buy the springs?
Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

You can just lower it with springs. However there are better ways to lower it. It all depends what you are looking for. Just a lowered car? Or a car that handles well too? When i lowered mine I replaced my springs, shocks, struts, strut mounts, panhard bar, panhard bar brace, and installed LCA relocation brackets. I had previsouly replaced the LCAs and UCA.

If all you want is a lowered car then springs and an adjustable panhard bar will get you there.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:33 AM
ZackBallard3

JZ i have a question for you,i am in the same boat as hemery(trying to lower my car) i recently purchased some springs for my car, intending to lower it, i cant afford the shocks and strut package yet but i could afford the panhard bar. what is its purpose and is it a must have?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:59 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

After lowering the rear of your car will be off center. My car is lowered 1.5" and the axle is off center about .5". An adjustable panhard bar will allow you to center the car over the axle again. It's not noticeable on stock wheels, but with wider wheels you can tell.

Edit: For daily driving an adjustable panhard is all you will need. I do some road racing so I'm saving up for a Watts link instead.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:58 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

^ Agreed. Once the car is lowered the axle will be off to one side. If you look underneath your car and look at the Panhard bar you will see one side attaches to the axle, the other side attaches to the car. When the car is lowered, it essentially pushes the axle off to one side about 1/2 inch or so. I have 285 rear tires, so when my axle is off center it's very noticeable. I believe the Adj Panhard bar is less than $200, so hopefully it's something you can pick up.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:52 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Just the springs will work, but I'd recommend an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear end.

Here's the setup I'm using, and it handles well & rides comfortably enough for daily driving.

Springs:
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-e...prings-05.html

PHB:
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-p...rd-bar-05.html
Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

As everyone else has mentioned, you can get by with just installing lowering springs, but depending on how low you go and the width of the rims you have out back, you may also need an adjustable pan-hard bar. The one I always recommend is BMR's PHR006. It has poly bushings on both ends and installs very easily....I've installed several.

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...id=21&catid=68

The reason I mention the width of rims is because if you have stock wheels and tires on the car, you'll barely notice the shifting of the rear end, but if you're running anything wider than stock, you will.

Good luck!

Last edited by 05 Mustang; 01-10-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I went a much more "complete" route with my suspension, but I think that the essential suspension components for a lowered car are: springs, adjustable panhard bar and LCA relocation brackets. Lowering your car will offset your rear axle and give your rear LCAs a positive rake. For a street car, you want as little rake as possible with a little bit of negative rake being acceptable. It's real easy to get squirrelly if you get on it and the LCAs are pointed in the wrong direction.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:42 AM
yellowneck86
2nd Gear Member

I was planning on getting the eibach lowering kit with the J&M pan hard rod. Would I need to replace the cast and camber plates even if this is for a daily driver?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

With that much of a drop it can't hurt. It'll help your tires last longer. I had to put on camber plates after I lowered mine 1.5" and the tires were noticeably unevenly worn. Mine are just adjustable camber plates though. Didn't have a need for caster adjustment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering 07