Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Flowmaster Outlaw Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 03:42 PM
Gaines09
1st Gear Member

Default Flowmaster Outlaw Mufflers

So I've been looking at these on american muscle. Noticed they are only 399.. So how is the drone and loudness on these? Especially with an O/R H or X pipe. I really like this system from the only video I've heard on the American Muscle website. So does anyone know anything about these mufflers and if they are worth the money? I was originally sold on the pypes violator system with the o/r x pipe but after hearing the sound like a rattling can I don't want that.

I'm very sketchy about flowmaster because of the amount of drone I had on the super 10 series muffler I had on my truck. So how do these outlaw series sound? Does anyone know with the O/R midpipe also? i can't find ANY videos
Old 02-04-2013, 08:37 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gaines09
So I've been looking at these on american muscle. Noticed they are only 399.. So how is the drone and loudness on these? Especially with an O/R H or X pipe. I really like this system from the only video I've heard on the American Muscle website. So does anyone know anything about these mufflers and if they are worth the money? I was originally sold on the pypes violator system with the o/r x pipe but after hearing the sound like a rattling can I don't want that.

I'm very sketchy about flowmaster because of the amount of drone I had on the super 10 series muffler I had on my truck. So how do these outlaw series sound? Does anyone know with the O/R midpipe also? i can't find ANY videos
Gaines,

The Outlaw series muffler should definitely have a lot less drone than the 10 series mufflers. I got a chance to drive the new edge Project car you see on our site with the Flowmaster Outlaw Cat-back on it and it was great, Very deep/aggressive and I didn't notice any drone.

I never heard the system with an O/R X-Pipe. I look forward to seeing some other members experiences with this! I hope this helps, Our Mustang Experts are here Monday-Friday from 9AM-9PM EST and Saturdays from 9AM-5:30PM EST. If you want to hit them up, their number is 866.727.1266. I can also have one of them call you directly.

-Dan
Old 02-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Gaines09
1st Gear Member

I was looking at the axle back system on american muscle for 399 and either paring it with the pypes O/R X or H pipe. I'm sure the H pipe would sound better tone wise. But I have a feeling the X would make it sound mean as hell. I can't decide on an exhaust I want. Was seeing if anyone has had this installed on their 05-10 stang.

The cat back system is a bit steep for my price range right now. I would get the corsa xtremes and a mid pipe before i would buy that cat back system.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Gaines09
1st Gear Member

Nobody else has any insight to these axlebacks? I bet it would sound super mean with the O/R midpipe but flowmaster scares me with their reputation for bad drone!
Old 02-06-2013, 03:36 PM
chevydillan
1st Gear Member

They don't call them dronemasters for nothing.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:08 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I had American Thunder flowmasters on my car for awhile. Even with cams and longtubes they did not drone bad, I actually liked them. Once I added the supercharger they went to sh*t. Tone was awful. I switched to SSS which are similar to Borlas. Its a flow through muffler. I love them. Deep and aggresive. Go to youtube with headphones to hear what works.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

i had drone at low rpm with my borla stingers (apparently the ataks dont have that problem) but i fixed it with my 3.90 gears
Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

Outlaws DO drone at 2k. Just sold a set. One of the best sounding axle-backs IMO, but be ready for the dreaded 2k rpm drone.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Gaines09
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Deranged2013
Outlaws DO drone at 2k. Just sold a set. One of the best sounding axle-backs IMO, but be ready for the dreaded 2k rpm drone.
But how bad is the drone at 2K? Like i don't care for a little bit of drone which obviously most exhaust will have drone. But is it to the point where music is hard to hear? I'm pretty much sold on the outlaws with an O/R X pipe. I bet that combo sounds like sex on wheels lol
Old 02-09-2013, 06:59 AM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gaines09
But how bad is the drone at 2K? Like i don't care for a little bit of drone which obviously most exhaust will have drone. But is it to the point where music is hard to hear? I'm pretty much sold on the outlaws with an O/R X pipe. I bet that combo sounds like sex on wheels lol
You are right, out of all the axle-backs I've heard, Outlaws are one of the best sounding. I didn't mind the drone when I was driving around by myself, but if the wife and I took the car out for a long ride, it became annoying. It made it hard to carry on a conversation and it would drone right around 65mph, which is the speed limit for most of our highways around here. I would start running 70 mph + or gearing down to 5th to avoid the drone. I could probably deal with it myself but the wife is with me most of the time. If you don't mind a little bit of drone, go for it. They sound really good.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Outlaw Mufflers