Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

'06 GT fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 04:25 PM
jtgerik

Default '06 GT fuel issue

So.. out driving one day, car starts to cut out/no throttle when pedal pushed.. eventually dies..

tow it home, investigate code it threw.. <which I can't recall right now>

Suggests fuel filter, fuel rail pressure sensor, fuel pump..

I replace fuel filter.. Runs again ok for a bit.. does it again.. tow it home Again..

Replace Fuel rail pressure sensor.. run at home in driveway eventually starts to o it again..

Replace Fuel pump.. now sounds like it's misfiring when throttled at times, runs ok at times,.. I've yet to pull codes again to see if it's something new or the same one as previous..

I'm aware of the TSB on the fuel pump. .this is the car's second fuel pump since new.. so #3.. I don't buy gas but from one Station brand here, with guaranteed fuel..

Could it have killed an injector? Someone else had mentioned the crankshaft sensor.. but I believe that only results in No Fire/No Fuel starts if it's malfunctioning..

I can get it running.. and it will idle for a while.. once it comes to operating temp it seems this is when issues start to occur..

Also.. the new Motorcraft pump.. makes noises I never heard/noticed before.. a almost squeak like sound.. it's possible I didn't notice it previous.. but.. it sounds suspect to me.. along with this I can visually SEE the fuel line from where it comes off the body to the fuel rail.. FLEX and feel the throbbing of the pressure in it.. Also a new event.

I'm about ready to light it on fire and dance around it like a Pagan may pole..

thoughts, similar probs, etc are greatly appreciated.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:48 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Get the codes first and google them. 9 times out of 10 you'll find someone else with the same problem. Just because the code is for a fuel pump, that doesn't mean it's the pump. So many good 02 sensor have been replaced because of the 02 sensor code. Not to mention cam sensors caused by faulty alternators. It could be your fuel pump driver module.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:50 PM
jtgerik

Yeah.. So.. limped it to my buddy's shop.. lemme tell you how much fun that was. loss of throttle, popping from misfires, etc.. tried to figure it out but alas no thought process equaled fixing it, and due to the late time he couldn't get it in on the machine.. so I limped it back home to bring it back later.

came home from work, jumped in, fired it up.. and drove it back over.. this time it drove normally, responded like it should.. MIL lamp still on of course.. but otherwise all was as it should be.

pulled the codes, one of which was the fuel rail pressure sensor, fuel pump code.. same as before.. although both items have been replaced.

The other two was too lean on bank 1 and too lean on bank 2..
AND a PATS <passive anti-theft >

Cleared the codes, and I went and ran the **** outta it, to attempt to get it to throw the codes again..

and to no avail it did not throw the codes again, I haven't driven it since but to move it outta the driveway..

I'll be damned if I know wtf that was all about, I've never had anything like this occur.. after replacing parts have it continue to act like I hadn't. then suddenly after just simply sitting every is normal? I'm at a complete loss on it. But we're just gonna drive it a little every day for a bit to see if it's really fixed or just temporarily ok
Old 05-26-2013, 11:57 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

What was the last thing you worked on? Before the issue?

It is most likely a sensor, a loose connection, poor connection, or cooroded, or a vacuum issue.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:26 AM
jtgerik

Previous to the issue.. it'd been months since anything was messed with.. its still running fine but I've yet to get it on the highway at constant speed which was were the issue first occurred.. no codes... but I've only done city driving for maybe 25 miles. ..
Old 05-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Have you gone through your entire air intake, post maf and pre throtte body for any thing that is loose?