MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L V8 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions-69/)
-   -   what do I need to kill a 5.0? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions/696394-what-do-i-need-to-kill-a-5-0-a.html)

Shelty 06-06-2013 11:03 PM

what do I need to kill a 5.0?

guy at work is smack talking be because he has a 2012 5.0, so he thinks that my 2005 is inferior because its old and i cant afford a 5.0

what do I need to be able to beat his stock 5.0?

I have the S197 "starter pack" of mods, short throw, CAI, tune, axleback....

havnt finished getting my suspension parts together, but when thats done it will be K-springs Koni reds and eventually BMR's entire catalog...

danzcool 06-07-2013 12:12 AM

You need to buy my old whipple HO kit, LOL.
Really, you pretty much need to have a turbo or supercharger of some kind or spray nitrous.
The 5.0s are pretty stout, stock they have around 360-370 RWHP, a 4.6 with every bolt on short of FI will struggle to hit that power level, but I believe it has been done.

Lem-06 06-07-2013 01:01 AM

what danz said.
gotta step up and get a power adder to take him down

red96v6 06-07-2013 01:47 AM

Supercharger and driver mod will destroy a stock one pretty easily.

If no blower, CAI, Tune, suspension, sticky tires, driver mod... and pray its a stick and he cant drive it to its potential.

drewsky 06-07-2013 03:51 AM

Gears! 4.10's and other bolt ons will run with them.. Till about 75-85mph. Then the 5.0 power takes over. I've raced my buddy's stock ( except exhaust) 2013 gt for fun and I actually will be about half a car ahead till 80 or so then he will slowly walk on me... But slowly. If you want to beat one all around FI ftw

CMcNam 06-07-2013 08:43 AM

Forced induction.

I can't stand people like that. Homeboy needs to understand where his car comes from and not hate on that heritage. That's like hating on your parents.*

*Unless you have a good reason to hate your parents...

modru2004 06-07-2013 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by CMcNam (Post 8226996)
Forced induction.

I can't stand people like that. Homeboy needs to understand where his car comes from and not hate on that heritage. That's like hating on your parents.*

*Unless you have a good reason to hate your parents...

well depending on his level of skill, whether or not hes in a manual you might be able to take him in a really really short race if you had 4.10's. above 60 though he will start to trounce you.

but to completely kill him in any race. forced induction.

or maybe 4.56 in the rear with some drag slicks? that might not be too shabby haha.

AJ06GT 06-07-2013 11:40 AM

I'm aiming for a Coyote killer too, haha. Maybe kill is harsh since we're all in the family together, but they are definitely beatable and without FI, though FI makes it a lot easier, plus if they are modded then your chances just went down quick. You'll need basically full bolt ons + suspension + gears + driver mod, etc to hope to match or get close to their power and put it to the road better than them.

808muscle 06-07-2013 11:59 AM

Get a blower dude, that'll force your buddy to open his wallet if he wants to beat you now.

If yours is paid off, just keep asking him how that monthly pmt is unless of course if he paid cash. Then just keep your mouth shut. Lol

DocSnickers 06-07-2013 12:58 PM

Truth be told the 5.0L is a beast stock the whole design of the engine was made to be a monster right out of the showroom. Mustang on Mustang hate is just not cool though like the above posts said its like hating on your parents.

My 72 Mach1 can't even come close to hanging in a street race with my 5.0L hell my wifes 3.7L can lay the smack down all over the Mach1. My Mach 1 comes from another era when horsepower was coming to an end and the dawn of the Mustang II was on the horizon. She's 100% stock except for the flowmaster exhaust and I have no plans of ever resto mod to her. I could turn that Mach1 into a supercharger monster that will just devastate my 5.0. But in my opinion it would ruin the car you hardly see any 71 - 73 Mach1's. I have seen a few but they were always running new aftermarket parts have not seen one that was completely factory.

I am not saying don't mod your 05 though. I say go for it with the newer mustangs it's going to be years before their value flips and starts going up. She's going to have to have FI or Turbo to take down a 5.0L. Just hope to god your buddy does not decided to put an FI on his 5.0L. Or if he drops the Boss302 Intake on her and puts a Hellion Twin Turbo and busts out 1200 HP.

ski 06-07-2013 01:31 PM

Agree with the others. You need either FI, or the full laundry list of bolt ons to keep up with a new stock Coyote.

FWIW, I ran a bone stock 2013 5.0 the other day from a dig. Got the jump at the start, and was able to hold the lead until about 85 mph. The new 5.0's have an incredible top end.

xx10Gt 06-07-2013 02:15 PM

never understand that. Hating on someones car just because its an older model/not a 5.0. like really? You have a mustang and im sure you baby it and for most of us including myself it is our passion. As long as we love our car(s) ourselves, thats all that matters.

That being said...4.10s, suspension mods, blower, and take him down!

PNYXPRESS 06-07-2013 02:17 PM

Blue lights will stop just about everybody in their tracks. :)

red96v6 06-07-2013 02:36 PM

5.0s are pretty beast.
Seriously though, with your mods, if you can get a good launch and drive it like you stole it, you may be able to take him.
He's already cocky, so just downplay your car. Let him get over confident and hope he can't drive. You'd be surprised what a lightly modded s197 can beat, especially when the other driver can't use their car to its potential.
Plus it's more exciting and rewarding to play with cars "superior" to yours.
Just don't try to race him to top speed or anything, you will probably lose horribly even if he can't drive...

Ricardo 06-07-2013 02:43 PM

I think it's silly for OP to want to dump thousands into his car just because one guy challenged him. Or because anyone challanged him. Now if it was to have a faster car that's a blast to drive for his own personal enjoyment then by all means mod away!
But remember in 12 months there's going to be a lot of '11-'14 5.0 owners crying and plotting about how they can beat a '15. Especially how to modify their suspension to keep up in the "twisties" so many people get so hard about.
For what it's worth I've ran across a N/A 3.7 V6 that put lengths on my GT but I'll enjoy my car now and eventually just trade up to a barely used '13 when people start shedding them in the rush to get a '15.

moosestang 06-07-2013 03:19 PM

The 5.0's run 11's with just simple bolt on mods and trap in the mid teens. Pretty damn impressive for only a few more cubes than us 4.6's.

Next test and tune, if it doesn't rain, I should have some video of me running against some. should be lots of fun.

Nuke 06-07-2013 03:24 PM

Even all the bolt-ons won't get you to the same RWHP where he is even if he's bone stock. As everyone said, you gotta go FI. And even then, you'll need suspension work to put it to the ground effectively. Figure on $5k-$8k for starters if a shop does it.

With your mods, your only power add is the CAI & tune, putting you at about 285-290 RWHP. Stock, he's around 350-370 RWHP.

UPRSharad 06-07-2013 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Shelty (Post 8226864)
guy at work is smack talking be because he has a 2012 5.0, so he thinks that my 2005 is inferior because its old and i cant afford a 5.0

havnt finished getting my suspension parts together, but when thats done it will be K-springs Koni reds and eventually BMR's entire catalog...

I have an '06 GT with similar mods as your '05. With UPR's entire catalog and NT05s, I have beaten my friend's 2012 5.0. He even had a tune & exhaust. (but factory tires)

ski 06-07-2013 11:08 PM

To the OP,

Your '05 GT may not have to generate as much hp as your friend's 5.0 for you to win due to the following factors:

- Your car weighs approx. 150# less if his 5.0 is a manual, and approx. 200# less if his is an auto. That's equivalent to approx. 15/20 fewer hp your car has to produce. (This assumes you both weigh approx. the same, and both cars have approx. the same volume of gas.)

- Your wheels and tires are smaller than his, and thus may be lighter, which will give your car a rolling weight advantage and possibly quicker acceleration.

- His car may have throttle lag if it has the stock tune.

- You may have a better driver mod.

tbuff 06-07-2013 11:23 PM

you need NOS. 2 of them. The big ones

danzcool 06-08-2013 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by tbuff (Post 8227486)

NAWS!

Lem-06 06-08-2013 02:13 AM

oh **** son, dont blow the welds on the intake!
or him and the mad scientist will have to tear the engine apart to replace the rings you fried

bigstick 06-09-2013 09:15 PM

I'm with Sharad on this one. 1/8 mile race from a dig. Add Driver mod, plus suspension and tires, and you'll beat 80% of the 5.0 drivers out there.

UPRSharad 06-11-2013 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by tbuff (Post 8227486)

And you need em by tonight!

Originally Posted by bigstick (Post 8228418)
I'm with Sharad on this one. 1/8 mile race from a dig. Add Driver mod, plus suspension and tires, and you'll beat 80% of the 5.0 drivers out there.

^^yes indeed!

tbuff 06-11-2013 07:07 PM

This will decimate all.... after we overnight some parts from Japan.

Rocket254 06-11-2013 09:17 PM

Well put it on my tab at Harry's. I've gotta get him racing....

UPRSharad 06-14-2013 02:34 PM

(he owns you now)

VistaBlueFrank68 08-01-2013 06:44 PM

Hay Moose I'm modding the motor on this 2013 GT/CS: Have the Boss intake and a custom tune from The Mustang Shop, K&N filter on stock CAI, Kooks L/T and Catted-X with FRPP axil-back Sports.

I want a Boss Roadrunner engine but think I can do three modifications to get close with out dropping 11K:
a. Boss Chain Tensioners.
b. Boss Valve Springs.
c. Boss Phaser Ring.

Now would this help hold the motor together if I stay under 450 grnd and don't push it past 7000 rpm. That guy that put 700 hp on his new car should've known it was toast, I bet the shop knew it. We had a new 2013 V6, boosted with lots of LBS. Did the same thing...blowed-up on the first pass.

I just feel if I do it this way, there's no need to pull the engines pistons and rods.

As for your comment about Mopar and Chevy planned failure of rear ends to save the engine. I'm Bomb Proofing my driveline:

Done: Shaftmaster, Braided Clutch-line, BMR Brace Safety Loop, FRPP Differential Cover.

In-boxes, up next: Swarr-bar, Yukon Posi, Alloy Differential Shafts, reuse stock FRPP 3.73.

Next addition: Spec. Stage 1 Clutch, Spec. Aluminum Flywheel.

The suspension and steering was totally gutted and replaced, so I'm covered there.

Do you think the Engine will hold-up to 4 trips a year, 5/6 passes at a shade under 7K?
I also feel it's easier to build it's core, then fix it when it self-destructs.
It will also have the stock P-Zero Nero's 19x40x245, 8.5's until I get tired of spinning.

clix813 08-02-2013 11:22 AM

I have a friend with a 2013 auto. I haven't raced him from a stop but with on the 30th at the strip so we will see that. But I raced him from about 40 to 110~120ish and I pulled about a car on him till the 100 mark and then he started to slowly catch up. They have a lot of power stock. From a dig I think I would have him bad. Im expecting to beat him pretty good at the track with my d/r and some suspension stuff I ordered I don't think it will be to close.

Lifter583 08-03-2013 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Shelty (Post 8226864)

I have been out with my 06 GT & I had a guy giving me sh** a couple of times about my 06 being "so slow" compared to his 5.0... so I went on a hunt with my GT500 and was lucky enough to catch him out one day...I said I am the one with the "slow GT" and I was wondering how small your di** feels now?? and since he had his girlfriend /wife with him...I asked her if she would like to ride in a real car?? I have to say the look and dead silence was priceless!!!!

Andy13186 08-03-2013 11:45 AM

mount a .50 cal and aim for engine

VistaBlueFrank68 08-04-2013 10:15 PM

Why do all believe 2015's will be fast? They're 4 cycle chainsaws - Nininini Ninini Ninini.
Eco boost with Panda-Power-Puff power adders. I bet it has 25 lbs of torc, and will have blinding acceleration if the driver and passenger are anorexic.

As for 2013-14 prices, once all find out they're the last true muscle cars...they'll become overpriced collectables.

2015 peeps will know something is up when they order replacement parts and the box says Kia Motor Co. LLC.

Monkey throws Poo! That's what I gotta Doo.

Lem-06 08-04-2013 10:39 PM

erm, wasnt it confirmed the 2015 is keeping the coyote motor, ontop of a 4cyl ecoboost and a 6cyl n/a?
also, why the 2013-14 and not include the 11-12?

BairdGT 08-04-2013 10:41 PM

from my understanding Europe is the only one getting the 4cyl ecoboost.

VistaBlueFrank68 08-04-2013 10:58 PM

My conundrum is modding a Coyote too much. You'll end-up with an engine that cost more then a Boss (Road Runner 444hp) but lacks most of the features. Plus you can sell your Coyote to off-set some of the costs. It takes a Coyote to kill a Coyote.

Mine has a Boss intake so it's confused and will sometimes run in the wrong direction, only really fast. Seriously I need to keep it from red-line due to major explosive disassembly potential. But once that Boss kicks in after 60, it's intoxicating and you don't know the power of the Dark Side.

Consume you it will.

C. Love 08-04-2013 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lifter583 (Post 8259434)
I have been out with my 06 GT & I had a guy giving me sh** a couple of times about my 06 being "so slow" compared to his 5.0... so I went on a hunt with my GT500 and was lucky enough to catch him out one day...I said I am the one with the "slow GT" and I was wondering how small your di** feels now?? and since he had his girlfriend /wife with him...I asked her if she would like to ride in a real car?? I have to say the look and dead silence was priceless!!!!

I do something similar except I'm on my scooter and say something like my dick is huge so I don't need a (insert car here) to make up for it.

As for what to beat the 5.0. I don't think it would take much to beat a stock one. My 5.0 compared to my old car (turbo charged 4cyl which had about 350 wheel) my old car would have toasted my 5.0. sure the 5.0 has more TQ and squirrels but its a fat pig. My other car was 2700 lbs gas'd up with me (i weigh 200) in it.

Really best bang for the buck is nitrous. A 75-shot and I bet you would put the hurt on him--until he gets nitrous lol.

Lifter583 08-05-2013 12:41 PM

[QUOTE=C. Love;8260229]I do something similar except I'm on my scooter and say something like my dick is huge so I don't need a (insert car here) to make up for it.

I appreciate other people's Mustangs...and fun competition is normal...I dont do well with another owner's misguided condescending bashing...simple as that...

UPRSharad 08-05-2013 06:26 PM

I heard Coyote with Direct Injection, around 450hp... but that's just a rumor.

Lem-06 08-06-2013 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by UPRSharad (Post 8260734)
I heard Coyote with Direct Injection, around 450hp... but that's just a rumor.

drool.........i would start saving for a crate motor of that as soon as possible....:P

juscarter 08-15-2013 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lem-06 (Post 8227513)
oh **** son, dont blow the welds on the intake!
or him and the mad scientist will have to tear the engine apart to replace the rings you fried

Haha. I know it's cheezy as hell but i love that movie!