Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:48 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Default Electrical Issue

Hey guys, so my '06 GT gets a weird thing every once in a while that's been happening for a month or more with the charging system. The light comes on intermittently, and then the battery light. It comes on easier when using the A/C or Defogger as well as the lights, but comes on regardless of using those things anyway. My stereo (which is an aftermarket HU) is always on. This didn't happen before the install of the aftermarket HU with my previous Shaker 500.

So, like I said, the light comes on every once in a while and goes off. Lately it's come on and stayed on. But I've never had any issues with any electrical things not working, just that the light is on. I had Autozone test is twice with their tool, once a month ago and it read 12.7v off 14v on, and that everything was good. This time, today, it said roughly the same thing, even with all available electronics and the car running it was in good condition he said, around 13.8v and the ripple was good. I don't know what's wrong, but he said to check fuses/relays before doing anything drastic.

He also said I could get "0 gauge" wiring or "2 gauge" wiring from any audio store and run that from the battery to the ground, battery to the alternator and with the motor and that would make everything run smoother with the electronics and may turn the light off.

Any opinions?

I'm going down to Myrtle Beach for Mustang week in two weeks. I don't want this to be an issue. I haven't ran into a problem yet but I've only been local and on one 120-mile round trip.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Did they load test your battery?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:56 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

The testers they use for the battery and alternators won't catch faults or problems unless they are actively present. Have you cleaned your terminals and ground points? What battery do you have? Is it original?

I made a ground kit for my car using some 4 gauge amp wire and added that to the factory ground points. Car didn't feel faster but it felt stronger immediately after adding it.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:43 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Did they load test your battery?
Didn't load test it. I can buy a tool to load test it if I should.

Originally Posted by JCON
The testers they use for the battery and alternators won't catch faults or problems unless they are actively present. Have you cleaned your terminals and ground points? What battery do you have? Is it original?

I made a ground kit for my car using some 4 gauge amp wire and added that to the factory ground points. Car didn't feel faster but it felt stronger immediately after adding it.
Okay I get what you're saying - the light wasn't on when he was doing this test but that's because it comes on randomly. I haven't cleaned my terminals/ground points, should I start from there?

I'm not sure if it's an original battery because I bought the car used but it's a Ford battery and doesn't look too old.

Should I run some new 0/2/4 gauge wire? How would I do that?

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:08 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangspotential
I haven't cleaned my terminals/ground points, should I start from there?

I'm not sure if it's an original battery because I bought the car used but it's a Ford battery and doesn't look too old.

Should I run some new 0/2/4 gauge wire? How would I do that?

Thanks.
Yes start by cleaning. My fiance's 2000 had a similar issue and it was because of dirty terminals. Car actually shut off a few times before I realized what wa happening.

Ford batteries are cheap and weak. Even if it is a newer one, Duralast Gold or Napa Gold are much better. However, if the battery is still good, keep it until it dies. My original battery in both my 05 v6 and 05 GT lasted 6+ years.

Running additional grounding is always nice and may solve the issue now but if it solves the issue now, it's because your current grounding/terminals are dirty an it's not getting full contact. So it will be better but it's still a band aid not a cure.

Where in NY are you located?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:22 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Could always be the infamous water leaking in though the seals messing up wiring issue that the S197 Mustangs have been plagued with.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:27 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
Could always be the infamous water leaking in though the seals messing up wiring issue that the S197 Mustangs have been plagued with.
I had all of the water leaks but no electrical issues but it could hurt for the op to look under the passenger floor mat and carpet to see if it's wet. I don't believe that is his issue though.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:32 AM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Yes start by cleaning. My fiance's 2000 had a similar issue and it was because of dirty terminals. Car actually shut off a few times before I realized what wa happening.

Ford batteries are cheap and weak. Even if it is a newer one, Duralast Gold or Napa Gold are much better. However, if the battery is still good, keep it until it dies. My original battery in both my 05 v6 and 05 GT lasted 6+ years.

Running additional grounding is always nice and may solve the issue now but if it solves the issue now, it's because your current grounding/terminals are dirty an it's not getting full contact. So it will be better but it's still a band aid not a cure.

Where in NY are you located?
Ok I'm going to clean everything I can, I know the Ford Battery sucks, so I'm gonna have to get the load tester and see how decent the battery is. Definitely going with a top notch one at my first replacement. I don't know how to run additional grounding wire, never done it, but I imagine it can't be too hard. I'm located on Long Island, Suffolk County.

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
I do have the water leak issue and it has rained almost 10 inches in NY this month. It has been wet in the passenger carpet slightly a few times.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:55 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I'll be headed to western NY for the 4th. If you were nearby I'd help you fix your issues. If you ever find your way to DE we can fix your leak issue. Not tough to do but worth it. Try to cover or garage your car when it rains. Until fixed, the leak only gets worse.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:15 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

I'll be headed to western NY for the 4th. If you were nearby I'd help you fix your issues. If you ever find your way to DE we can fix your leak issue. Not tough to do but worth it. Try to cover or garage your car when it rains. Until fixed, the leak only gets worse.
Appreciate the offer. Maybe one day I'll be able to get over to DE, where abouts are you located there?

Could you walk me through something perhaps instead?

Quick Reply: Electrical Issue