Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

mustang gt2006 radiator fan problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:16 PM
alam

Default mustang gt2006 radiator fan problem

Hey guys, today i turned off the engine with ac on by mistake, and came back after an hour and switched it on without noticing that the ac was on, anyway i was driving on a highway with ac on and noticed using torque app that coolant temp is rising but still in normal range, i stopped and closed the ac and the temp kept rising and fan did not run. I turned on the ac in a try to see whether the fan is working and noticed that the fan runs for few second , shuts off and runs again. Anyway after turning the engine on and off for few times ,everything got back to normal, the fan starts automatically when temp reaches 100 c approx, and when turning the ac on the fan keeps running . Should i consider it normal or is there anything i should check? Thanx in advance
Old 07-27-2013, 01:56 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The fan is controlled by the PCM based on engine temp. You have a low speed and a high speed.
The connector from the harness to the resistor on the fan shroud often gets hot and eventually overheats, and can cause intermittent and non-running issues. You can unplug the connector and inspect it and see how badly blackened one of the connectors is.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:05 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

^ What he said.

Additionally, I've left my AC on when turning off and turning the car on probably hundreds of times with no adverse effect.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:14 PM
alam

Thanks guys, well the issue reappeared again today, i checked the fan fuse and relays, disconnected the connectors and everything is looking good. I run the car and switched on the ac but the fan didn't work until i hit it with my hand and now it's working again. Any thoughts??
Old 08-03-2013, 08:14 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alam
Thanks guys, well the issue reappeared again today, i checked the fan fuse and relays, disconnected the connectors and everything is looking good. I run the car and switched on the ac but the fan didn't work until i hit it with my hand and now it's working again. Any thoughts??
Shorted wire in the fan. May need a new fan.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:16 AM
alam

Hey guys, well it happened again few days ago, hitting the fan is not working anymore, but it seems that when i play with the fan relays it works again. I've changed both relays with the horn and rear defroster relays. It Worked for a day and next day the same, the fan won't work until i play with the relays. I noticed that the fan stops working when is car is warm after half an hour driving, suddenly stops and will not work neither with the ac nor with the temperature until i close it and start messing with the relays. I've also noticed that the high fan relay is really hot after turning on the ac for a while..Any thoughts???
Old 08-07-2013, 09:19 AM
hootie_john
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a short in the fan. I'd try to replace the fan itself.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:22 AM
alam

There's no way to repair it?
Old 08-08-2013, 06:47 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alam
There's no way to repair it?
Sure,trace everywhere in the fan and replace them and don't use crimps, solder them.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:57 AM
alam

Originally Posted by JCON
Sure,trace everywhere in the fan and replace them and don't use crimps, solder them.

Thanx, I'm thinking of connecting the fan directly to keep the engine cool at all times, since the streets are really crowded here in Dubai and the weather is always hot. What do you think guys? Is it okay?

Quick Reply: mustang gt2006 radiator fan problem