Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

vid please?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:44 AM
amaNIN
1st Gear Member

Default vid please?

Can someone please post a vid on how difficult it is to use needle nose pliers when compressing the caliper piston back in on a rear brake job? Or is it just not worth the effort? I know about the special tool from Autozone and Harbour Fright ect. Is it really worth the time and effort using the pliers?
Old 08-07-2013, 01:20 PM
freyes
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by amaNIN
Can someone please post a vid on how difficult it is to use needle nose pliers when compressing the caliper piston back in on a rear brake job? Or is it just not worth the effort? I know about the special tool from Autozone and Harbour Fright ect. Is it really worth the time and effort using the pliers?
I believe you are talking about rotating the rear brake piston back into the housing, once you've done a brake job, and want to insert the brake pads into the caliper. I bought the tool, it looks like a square with different pins on the surface, which grip the face of the piston. If the piston is really hard to turn, then you may have a problem with the seal at the base of the rod that the piston screws onto. You can also use stub nose pliers, but real needle nose pliers would be too small.

If you are talking about the circlip retainer that holds the piston rod in the body, that requires long reach circlip pliers, or a really long, thin pair of needle nose pliers to remove.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:41 PM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

It is a REAL PITA to use needle nose pliers to press and screw the piston in at the same time. You will lose skin and blood. Buy the little tool or borrow the kit from Autozone or somewhere.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:55 PM
amaNIN
1st Gear Member

Okay I think I will just go ahead and barrow the tool. My Chilton states that needle nose pliers can be used. But I cannot find any video evidence that it works(without difficulty). I'll take your guys's word and use the tool.

What would happen if you don't siphon off some brake fluid in the reservoir? And try to compress the piston with the cap off? Can air get into the the system somehow? Somebody told me that. Also when pumping the pedal when your done with the brake job, should the reservoir cap be off or on? just askin questions that the web can answer but humans r more understanding
Old 08-07-2013, 05:17 PM
YoungBlood
1st Gear Member

I've done brakes on my jeep 3 times in the last month (don't ask, **** keeps breaking) and I generally open it, compress the piston ( I leave a rag wrapped around the resivor to catch any that overflows) then close the cap to pump the brakes. Works for me!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:53 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

When I changed my brake fluid I used a turkey vaster and got most of it out then put new in then pumped away without the cap so I could get fresh fluid in the lines
Old 08-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I always use needle nose to compress the rear calipers on rear disc cars. No blood. No tears. I honestly find it easier than using the tool which always tended to slip for me. Sorry, no video, but I can try to describe my method for you:

I hold the pliers so that my middle finger is between the two halves of the clamping portion of the pliers. I then use my ring and pinky to grab one half of the pliers and my thumb and index finger to grab the other half. Put the tips of the pliers into the grooves on the caliper cylinder and rotate while applying pressure. It works. Just takes a minute to get a feel for it. If you do decide to try the tool designed for the job, it's only about $5 at any auto parts chain store.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:15 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by YoungBlood
compress the piston
Can't compress the rear caliper pistons on a mustang. POP.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:04 AM
amaNIN
1st Gear Member

Okay. The job is done. My pistons were a bit rusted out so the pliers would have been a bit more difficult for me. Got the tool, worked flawlessly. Now I can do the front without an issue! Thanx guys!