Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Bama Tuning Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:24 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

Default Bama Tuning Question

Ok, I started a new thread because this is a question regarding making adjustments to the Bama tunes. I have already posted my issue in the tuner sticky, so I won't go through it all over again. Quick run down.

- 93 Race tune pings between 4k-6k, so does 91 Performance.

- Running Shell 93 octane, cleaned TB, Replaced Fuel Filter

- No mods other than FRRP Stinger Axle Backs (Doesn't count I know)

I spoke with Bama and they told me to retard the "global" timing by a degree until I don't hear it anymore. I think at -2 degrees globally it stopped pinging although its hard to tell at those high rpms due to the noise.

Here's my question:

If I leave global timing at "0" and just change the 4000-8000 timing to retard -1, or -2 wouldn't this be better than a global change since it only happened at those rpms ranges.

Also, my friends dad who is also an engineer said running lean may be the cause of my problems. So I went ahead and added +2 richer to my A/F ratio.
I'm going to try and run this setup on my way home and see what happens, just wanted the forums input.

Also, if I data log my car could Bama get me a more optimal tune?
Old 01-17-2014, 03:30 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

I also wanted to post what my coworkers dad said about my pinging question. We are structural engineers but his dad is a Mechanical Engineer working on engines 30+ years, so I'm going to go ahead and take his word for it.

Text I received "No I was bored and talked to my dad about what would cause pinging in a car with a tune. He immediately mentioned that the engine is probably running lean either from fuel regulator, fuel pump or the need for larger injectors. With it running lean it will heat up faster and the higher octane will boost that heat which could then cause preignition and pinging. I was just gonna look and see what I could find on it. He did mention not running on that tune since it can damage pistons and rings with too much preignition level heat"

This is why I upped my A/F (+2 Richer) to start with. Also, the Bama guy on the phone told me "these cars love to run lean" so I think his diagnoses matches what has been done to my car.

I'm pretty close to getting my car dyno tuned when I get my CAI in the mail, but I feel like I don't even have enough mods to do so. Then again I bought this tuner and want to actually get to use it appropriately. I'm also curious to see how good these Bama tunes really are.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:16 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

If I were you I'd find a local tuner and take the car in for a dyno session. A mail tune is never going to be as good a as custom tune on a dyno, provided of course the local tuner knows his stuff. In the meantime I'd follow your friend's advise and go back to stock before you damage something.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:19 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by shinerttu
I also wanted to post what my coworkers dad said about my pinging question. We are structural engineers but his dad is a Mechanical Engineer working on engines 30+ years, so I'm going to go ahead and take his word for it.

Text I received "No I was bored and talked to my dad about what would cause pinging in a car with a tune. He immediately mentioned that the engine is probably running lean either from fuel regulator, fuel pump or the need for larger injectors. With it running lean it will heat up faster and the higher octane will boost that heat which could then cause preignition and pinging. I was just gonna look and see what I could find on it. He did mention not running on that tune since it can damage pistons and rings with too much preignition level heat"

This is why I upped my A/F (+2 Richer) to start with. Also, the Bama guy on the phone told me "these cars love to run lean" so I think his diagnoses matches what has been done to my car.

I'm pretty close to getting my car dyno tuned when I get my CAI in the mail, but I feel like I don't even have enough mods to do so. Then again I bought this tuner and want to actually get to use it appropriately. I'm also curious to see how good these Bama tunes really are.
shinerttu,

I would go with Bama's advice of reducing the global ignition timing until the pinging goes away. Once you do so, take a datalog and send it back to Bama to be reviewed. They'll easily be able to get you squared away.

I'm confident fueling is not the issue here. Your stock pump, injectors, and fuel lines are more than support basic bolt-ons. These 3v engines have been more than thoroughly tested over the years. It's not secret that they like to run at 12.8-12.9 AFR with a 14.7:1 stoich.

Let me know how things go with Bama after you send them the datalog. You can also hit me up if you have any other questions!

Shane
Old 01-20-2014, 12:20 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
I'm confident fueling is not the issue here. Your stock pump, injectors, and fuel lines are more than support basic bolt-ons. These 3v engines have been more than thoroughly tested over the years. It's not secret that they like to run at 12.8-12.9 AFR with a 14.7:1 stoich.
Shane
Yea, I agree that it isn't the stock pump, injectors, or fuel lines. He guessed I was running lean and it might be due to those things, but I'm saying I'm running lean because of the tune not because of my fuel system. Maybe I am running to lean.

Anyways, I just ordered CAI so should I datalog my car now, or just ask for a new tune for the CAI that is on the way.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:18 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

Nothing is more frustrating than calling and just being told something is wrong with my car. You guys have made zero changes to the original tune, I have changed my fuel filter and cleaned my TB as instructed. Now I'm being told it is most likely my spark plugs. "Have you checked all your plugs?" Me "No, I am afraid of finding out whether I have the 2 piece plug design". If my plugs were bad I would have a misfire or rough idle! I told him, how can you know whats wrong with my car if you have no information about it, you have zero inputs. You haven't asked for a data log, you haven't asked specifics about the noises I hear!

You know, its pretty easy to offer lifetime tunes if all you do is make the user perform all the adjustments. I'm going to start a tuning company called, I email you a tune and ask you to adjust it until it works. Best tuner ftw!

ok, sarcasm aside I have received nothing but to-do lists from the Bama team. They have never taken any responsibility nor asked me for a data log. I pretty much begged them to data-log my car in an attempt to actually get a "custom" tune. Also, when I ask the guy what parameters he would be interested if I did data log I didn't get an answer. Not reassuring at all.

I'm pissed, not because my tune sucks but because it seems to be ALL my fault. That is why today I bought my CAI from brenspeed. Hopefully the CAI will help this pinging stuff.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:21 PM
shinerttu
2nd Gear Member

I would like to say that AM is still an awesome vendor and has been professional, I understand upset customers are the most difficult to please but that's sales for ya. Somebody from Bama just called me and is asking for a Datalog which is all I really wanted from the signs of my first problem. I will keep yall posted.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:36 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by shinerttu
Yea, I agree that it isn't the stock pump, injectors, or fuel lines. He guessed I was running lean and it might be due to those things, but I'm saying I'm running lean because of the tune not because of my fuel system. Maybe I am running to lean.

Anyways, I just ordered CAI so should I datalog my car now, or just ask for a new tune for the CAI that is on the way.
shinerttu,

Gotcha. As long as the car is mechanically sound, with no air leaks. You certainly shouldn't be running lean. As I posted above, the target Air/Fuel for these 3v GT's is 12.8-12.9. Which you should be seeing, again if there's no air or exhaust leaks and the car is mechanically sound.

Since you're picking up a new CAI. Request a revised tune for the new CAI and then take a datalog. We should work forward with the CAI, since you're not going to be using the stock intake anyways. Then we can dial the car in further if need be.

Keep me updated once you get the new tune for the CAI!

Shane