Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2007 GT/CS TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 02:16 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Cool 2007 GT/CS TT

edit: Updated dyno on post #18.

It took six months, but I finally got the car back from my builder. Custom work requires two things: patience and $$$. But now that it's done, I'm sooooo glad I went this route and didn't trade the car for something I'd have to finance and probably still wouldn't be satisfied with.

The car previously had intake, CMDP's, heads, cams, shorty headers, and cat back. It made 330/323 whp/tq, but lost over 50ft-lbs of torque below 3000 from stock. It was fun to drive a little wound up, but was tiring when just cruising around town or stuck in traffic....It was time for an upgrade.

I had a failed STS twin kit taking up space in the basement, so I contacted the guy that did the heads and cams to build me a.....

Custom twin turbo.
Name:  IMG-20140404-01536_zps6cb1c887.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  139.7 KB

Hot pipes are all hot coated flat black. Cold pipes are metalic silver. Valve covers are wrinkle coated black.
Name:  IMG-20140310-01521_zps3dbbeba2.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  89.4 KB

I thought I would be disappointed in the relatively low dyno results, but at this point, it doesn't bother me too much. I don't think you'll find too many supercharged cars making the same HP on only 4psi. The driving experience is so much improved that 417/412 HP/TQ is PLENTY for a quasi-daily driver.
Name:  IMG-20140409-01546_zps8f650171.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  63.1 KB

I also upgraded the suspension with Steeda Sport springs, Koni Sport adjustable shocks, MMS castor-camber plates, and 19" staggered AMR wheels wrapped in Pirelli P-Zero tires.
Name:  20140412_124847_zps09b43767.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  63.6 KB
Name:  20140412_124811_zps65a17dfe.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  65.1 KB
Picked the car up on Friday and have put about 110 miles on it. First impressions:

1) If I didn't know better, I'd think he had given me a completely different car! The cockpit may be the same, but the driving experience is totally different.

2) The suspension and tire upgrades improved handling, ride, and steering response. The car is considerably flatter through the corners and instills a confidence in grip that I never felt before. The Koni's are set at their softest setting for now and the ride is comfortable without the wallowing, floating feeling that the stock suspension had. The best way I have to describe it is that response to driver input is more "crisp". The new stance and appearance of the charcoal on black combined with the fading GT/CS stripe is just.....well, I can't help but smile knowing that's my car.

3) Driveability is dramatically improved. The low end torque is back. It doesn't take as much throttle just to get the car rolling and it doesn't feel like it wants to bog down or lug in low rpm cruising. Fifth gear is usable again, and it won't be quite so annoying to sit in traffic anymore. The turbos spool incredibly fast, but also very smooth. The wastegates open so fast, it's going to take some getting used to. The sound is like having open pipes straight from the head. Even though off-boost engine noise in the cabin is reduced significantly, you can still hear the faint whistle of the turbos spinning. It's a pretty cool sound when you give it just a little more throttle to go over a rise and they come on just a little louder as the vacuum needle approaches 0.

4) I'm still a little hesitant to really get on it. The experience is so much different that I fear that the second I don't respect the extra power, it will bite me in the a$$, so I'm taking some time to re-learn how to drive it. That being said, I have discovered that even 4000rpm is a little too much for a clean launch.....tires could get costly in a hurry!

I always liked my car, but would never say I loved it. This round of mods may have pushed me over that line. I'm so glad I didn't trade it for something I would have had to finance last fall. The best part though was my builder's last comment before I drove away. With a great big grin on his face "I would drive this car every day. EVERY DAY!" That's what I want to hear from my builder!

Last edited by breathegood; 06-15-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:29 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Prefer turbos to supercharges. Love the install everything looks great! Best parts of the turbo is they don't take any power to make power and with a boost controller you can adjust on the fly!
Old 04-16-2014, 07:47 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
Prefer turbos to supercharges. Love the install everything looks great! Best parts of the turbo is they don't take any power to make power and with a boost controller you can adjust on the fly!
A little taller wastegate spring (s) and boost controller may be on the short list. It's currently running a 7psi spring, but obviously the small turbine housing is causing enough restriction to keep th boost down. I had waited so long to just get it running that I didn't want to wait any longer. It drives so nice as it is, I'm in no hurry to upbthe boost.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:39 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Looks good!! Can't really see the stripe in the pics but I can imagine it looks clean. How many miles before the TT was installed? I'm debating going FI in my 06 that has a little over 80k.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:46 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Oh wow, that's a nice looking setup! I bet it's a blast! How much clearance do you have under the car now? I'm incredibly jealous...

Any brake upgrades? I would think with that much power you might want to go that route next...going fast is great until you realize you don't have the force to stop.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:05 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
Looks good!! Can't really see the stripe in the pics but I can imagine it looks clean. How many miles before the TT was installed? I'm debating going FI in my 06 that has a little over 80k.
Car has 33k. Stored in the winter and not really used for daily commuting. As long as a car has been well maintained, I wouldn't hesitate to do a F/I setup regardless of miles (within reason of course).

Originally Posted by CMcNam
Oh wow, that's a nice looking setup! I bet it's a blast! How much clearance do you have under the car now? I'm incredibly jealous...

Any brake upgrades? I would think with that much power you might want to go that route next...going fast is great until you realize you don't have the force to stop.
Clearance is no different than any car with the Steeda springs. All turbo pipes are above the intercooler inlet. The factory splash pan is still in place.

Brakes are on the list, but not a high priority. I'm not really that aggressive of a driver. I got 140k out of the factory pads on my pickup, and it runs big tires and a super charger. When the time comes to replace pads, I'll probably just choose some quality replacement rotors and pads and upgrade the lines to braided steel.

My highest priority now is primarily cosmetic upgrades. I have a couple minor oops that will require a body shop and paint. After that I'm looking at SHR quarter louvers, Raxiom 2013 style tails, and a GT500 style spoiler.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:15 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

That is sick, OP. And I have to agree on the wheel color. It makes that subtle stripe look even better.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:59 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Awesome! I wish I had the money for a setup like that! Well, I just did half, the suspension, but damn I want some turbos! I tweaked my yellows yesterday to 1.5 turns (up from full soft) in the front and half a turn in the back and am very pleased with how it rides as a DD. Even a full turn in the back makes bumps and pot holes a little jarring.

As for the power, find yourself a little straight open road and give her a little hell! The best thing you can do is at least know what it's capable of so you're less likely to be surprised down the road in a bad situation. 417 is DEFINITELY fun, but it's not so much that it's going to be uncontrollable. I suspect you'll be wanting more boost in a few months!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:23 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

That is an awesome build! You're certainly right, with only 4psi, those are some really great numbers. I'm sure you will find that thing to be like a rocket when you really get on it!

I like the exterior theme too, some subtle clues that car has power but not over done. I think the list that you provided in a later thread will go nicely with this setup. Also, Great choice on the wheels, AMRs on black S197s look absolutely sick.

Keep up the great work, and if you need anything feel free to get in touch. Best of luck!

-Dan
Old 04-18-2014, 04:14 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Congrats! Setup looks great, I love my turbo

Quick Reply: 2007 GT/CS TT