Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Upgrade suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 07:01 AM
Nelson5900

Default Upgrade suggestions

I have 12k to put in my car. Would love to use as least as i can but im up for suggestions. Would like the best bang for my buck. Have been looking into turbochargers like the hellion but a lot of people say get a whipple... I have a 2010 gt premium with matte black . Also would like any pointers if anyone knows any good shops in the DMV area im in northern VA
Old 12-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nelson5900
I have a 2010 gt premium with matt black
You could start by transplanting the 2013 taillights and rear bumper.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:38 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

On a 2010... is a coyote transplant out of the question? you can probably find a used motor for a few thousand, then I would put a TVS supercharger, I like VMP, with that setup you would be close to 600hp without issues.

If you get an aluminator those are more expensive, but it is an upgrade vs the 4.6, and will be able to push a lot more power next time you want to upgrade.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Nelson5900

Alright im willing to swap out the engine. But you have to be more specific on which aluminator. I search and a bunch come up from 8k to 17k. Also isnt an aluminator and coyote the same? Thanks for the help
Old 12-03-2014, 09:34 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Alright im willing to swap out the engine. But you have to be more specific on which aluminator. I search and a bunch come up from 8k to 17k. Also isnt an aluminator and coyote the same? Thanks for the help
I was thinking the $8k aluminator, the difference between that and a coyote are the internals are much better. The pistons, rods, and crank are all forged and able to support quite a bit more horsepower.
The difference between the 2 aluminators at the $8k range is the compression ratio, both should run fine without a blower, but 1 will be easier to run with one... to my understanding at least.

I've only helped with 1 engine swap, and only the removal part of it so you are going to need to get help from more experienced swappers if you go that route... or do what I do and just go for it

A less expensive route would be to find a used coyote and tranny and swap those, then possibly add a blower for that extra oomph... a boss coyote can do 700hp if you can find one of those, but the standard block can regularly handle 600hp to the wheels, which is more than most people know what to do with.

Well hope that helps, but most of all remember that it's your money so don't listen to any single person too much.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Nelson5900

Yeah i understand. What should i search for to find the specific 8k one? Im open to suggestions. Swapping engines would actually be nice and open a lot of new doors for upgrades i just had not thought about that. I was thinking of just putting a hellion turbo in it but a 5.0 plus a hellion sounds better. Would have a shop do it. I work at a mechanic station just dont know if they would since i dont pay labor and that would take a long time to do.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:50 PM
Nelson5900

Also the ones i see say they only fit 2011-2013/14 and i have the 2010
Old 12-03-2014, 10:12 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I found them on american muscle, cjponyparts, and I'm sure they are around elsewhere. If you want you can put the twin turbo hellion on this one as well, but those systems are close to $10k themselves, and they aren't going to make more than 600rwhp to a stock coyote as well due to motor limitations.

If you want to get the aluminator I would get the low compression one, check ebay as well and see what you can find. I know of one making 9 second passes so it is pushing quite a bit of power.

I would guess that just buying and installing the engine would put you close to your budget, but if you have access to a cheap way to install it you could possibly get a tuner kit for cheap(usually doesn't include injector or a tune, possibly other things) and get it all done under budget.

I think tuner kits are between 3k and 5k for either a SC or a turbo, so with the $8-9k motor that is about or above the budget.

But... another thought is find a cheap used coyote motor or block, or car from a junkyard, and build it up before installing. With the right combo you can push the motor to 1krwhp or more and never keep traction lol

I think I saw complete rotating assemblies for $1500, I think they include pistons, rods, and a crankshaft, all balanced I think. Do a google search for 5.0 forged rods or pistons and see what there is, i found 1 company in my searches with a crapload of options.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:20 PM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Also the ones i see say they only fit 2011-2013/14 and i have the 2010
The transmissions and motor mounts should mount right up, you will need either a new wiring harness, or some type of adapter to make the wiring match up. I know there are threads for putting a coyote in an 05-09 car and it didn't look like too much work, I remember they needed to add/move 1 wire to get it to work.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:38 PM
Nelson5900

Ok... Im 18 and in high school its my senior year ill leave 1k rwhp when i get to 25 for now im looking for 550 rwhp but having a better engine would be best since i can just upgrade later on. I appreciate all the help will look into the aluminator engine and just turbo it for now (if i need to) do you think if i get an aluminator and spend an extra 3k i can get it to 550rwhp? Im more into the long term upgrading. Its my daily driver so would like some traction... I guess an option for now is just to get the hellion but then again id pay almost the same for a better engine.

Quick Reply: Upgrade suggestions