Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Wet under seat - Remove seat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 01:42 PM
Brian Speight

Default Wet under seat - Remove seat?

Hi guys, I had a leak under the passenger dash awhile back in my '07 GT caused by a clogged drain. I noticed the other day it is still very wet underneath the carpet under the passenger powerseat. I'm assuming I'll have to remove the seat to pull up the carpet and dry it out. How do I go about the removal? Is it as simple as removing the 4 bolts and wiring harness? Should I disconnect the battery to prevent throwing a code caused from the airbag? Cheers
Old 03-17-2016, 08:27 PM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

Yes - just take the 4 bolts out and the seat comes out. And unplug the connectors. It is best to disconnect the battery just to be on the safe side.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:15 PM
2007 GT//CS
1st Gear Member

I would also check for it still leaking.had same problem and after I shop vacume it out it dried fairly fast.its hard to get all the trash out of the cow vent but may want to give it another look.if its been raining or your going to car wash it would explain the floor not drying.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:06 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Definitely disconnect the battery about 15 minutes before disconnecting the wiring harness to the seat, you don't want to trigger the airbag in the seat to deploy.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:34 AM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

I don't understand why everyone is as concerned as they are with air bag discharge (although I understand why you don't want it going off by accident). I've really never heard of accidental air bag discharge because you unplug something.
The bigger issue, I think, is that you want to de-energize components before disconnecting them so you don't spike the component with power - especially with the processors in every little thing. Better to be safe than sorry though and a pound or prevention is worth a pound of cure. So the safer thing is to turn the power off before monkeying around with electrical stuff. You don't want to let the magic smoke out.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:03 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BrianK
I don't understand why everyone is as concerned as they are with air bag discharge (although I understand why you don't want it going off by accident). I've really never heard of accidental air bag discharge because you unplug something.
The bigger issue, I think, is that you want to de-energize components before disconnecting them so you don't spike the component with power - especially with the processors in every little thing. Better to be safe than sorry though and a pound or prevention is worth a pound of cure. So the safer thing is to turn the power off before monkeying around with electrical stuff. You don't want to let the magic smoke out.
I've heard one story of accidental discharge with 07-09 side airbag, but it seemed more of a faulty device/sensor than anything. But when Ford spends more time in it's R&R for the seat talking about safety with dealing with it's SRS system, it should probably be considered.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=453&viewfile=Seat%20Front.pdf
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=488&viewfil...Repowering.pdf
Old 05-18-2016, 07:52 AM
BrianK
2nd Gear Member

Yeah - I'm not saying it will never happen - but the main reason to disconnect the battery is to prevent frying components, which could happen far more often when wiggling the connector on and off, than the air bag deployment (IMO).