Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Gear Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 10:55 PM
joah1660

Default Gear Noise

I just picked up my car from the local shop here in San Antonio where I had my 4.10 motive gears installed. I have read other posts on this forum about others who put 4.10's in their GT and had a little gear noise. On the acceleration, there is no gear whine. But on the deacceleration, there is quite a bit of gear whine. Does anyone know if this noise will lessen once they are broken in (seated)? They also told me that I should drive the GT easy for the first 500 miles and then change the diff. oil and have it gears reinspected. I never heard of this, has anyone else heard of this? Thanks for the information.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:19 PM
wadman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Gear Noise

My 4.10s do not make noise. I have heard that some brands make alot of noise. I have had gears in the past that made that backlash noise because they were not set up right. Everybody that claims to know how to set them up right doesnt always do it right.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:45 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

i have installed 2 sets of gears in my '06 first motive 2nd was precision. i had never used motive before and thought it was because they are cheap imported gears but after changing to precision which i have used many times with no problems i think there is an inherant problem with the 05-up 8.8. while checking backlash i found about .003 runout in the carrier. this could be a machining problem with ford. you aren't the only one out there. i replaced all the bearings this last time also. the pattern on my gears is perfect. there is no other reason i see for them to make noise other than a tooling error from ford. this 8.8 housing is only used in the mustang so maybe they don't have something right in the case. in any case i will find the solution cause it drives me f-n crazy!
Old 10-25-2005, 03:35 AM
joah1660

Thanks for all the info! I just went outside any test drove the GT some more. I had to recalibrate for the 4.10 gears and paced myself against my fiancee's suv. The gears seem to have quieted down quite a bit. The noise I heard earlier was probably part psychological since I had read numerous posts of gear whinning. The little bit of whinning that I can hear now is minimal. Thanks again for your insight!
Old 10-25-2005, 05:23 PM
REN06GT

Welcome to hot rodding very seldom have I had a set of aftermarket gears installed that did'nt make some type of noise. Sucks, but seems to be the nature of the beast.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:13 PM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

I hear all that, got 3.73 FRPP gears and Ford install pack with shims, etc....specifically to minimize the noise, most of the whine is during deacceleration and it is loud enough to hear over my exhaust set-up which is fairly loud !!!

A reputable shop installed and I have about 750 miles on the gears so I think the break-in period is over, starting to believe you get whine with non-stock gears and thats just the way it is !!!My LCA/UCAs are noisey as well, performance parts tend to make you sacrifice things, gas mileage !! comfort !! and $$$$$ lol
Old 01-31-2008, 10:24 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

My stock 3.55's whine on decel.

Granted it decel from 15mph...
Old 02-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

IMO....If you heard any Gear whine after the Install was done....You should have made a U-Turn, and went right back to the Shop. Let them go for a test drive with you. Gear whine is not going to fix itself. I've had two sets of Gears installed in mine.....if anything they're quieter than my stock gears were.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:04 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

Im getting my 3.73's done tomorrow, I will let u know if I get any whine. The shop I am going to guarantees no whine with Ford Racing gears.I'll take that ish back if there is any whine.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:08 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

I got 3.73's installed almost two years ago. From day one, they made noise. Currently, when the rearend gets fully warmed up, the rear growns and sounds like it has rocks rolling around in there. (currently working with the dealer to get t fixed) Its quite possible you got a shetty install just like me.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Gear Noise