Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Anyone had to get a new transmission yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 10:59 PM
cooperriver
1st Gear Member

Default Anyone had to get a new transmission yet?

I have a 105,000 miles on my car and I have drove the heck out of her. Is it early to have to buy a new transmission? I had problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd when I was taking off fast. I'm getting my transmission rebuilt and a new stage one clutch. Anyone else had to do this. I'm the only owner.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:56 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

If you've been driving the bejesus out of the tranny, you've probably worn out the 2nd & 3rd gear synchros.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:15 AM
cooperriver
1st Gear Member

Have you heard anyone else's go this early?
Old 08-24-2017, 04:42 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I agree, it's likely just the synchros, which is just a rebuild. I've got a 2008 and it came with 1 of the bad batch of transmission straight from the factory... cold start in the morning, the first time I would shift 2-3 it would grind, if I skipped 3rd in the morning for the 1st 5 minutes of driving it would be fine. I think It was about 6 months after I bought it that I figured out the trigger and took it in, they replaced the synchros and it was better for a few weeks, but came back, the second time they replaced the transmission, I think the shift forks were bad from the factory on that batch of transmissions. I since replaced it with a magnum XL 6-speed due to making big power.
If you're stock the rebuild should last you another 100,000 miles easy.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:24 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

If mine ever goes bad Iswear I'll just suck it up and get a T56 so I can go back to 4:10's and still be able to drive it on the highway. The 3:73's are slower around the road course because 2nd is too low and 3rd too high, with the 4:10's 3rd was right on the sweet spot.

I take good care of mine though, with regular oil changes and using only the Motorcraft Mercon V. I'm not about to go experimenting with my trans and hyped up colored oils.