Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Clicking clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 08:04 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Default Clicking clutch noise

Hello all,

I recently swapped my 4.0 drivetrain to 4.6 GT drivetrain, and am having a funky noise issue thats driving me crazy.. I think its clutch/throwout bearing/main shaft related, I would really appreciate some help here.

The noise resembles more of a clicking/light knocking that goes away when clutch pedal is pushed down.. The noise gets faster with RPM. If I can, I will post a small video. Thanks for the help
Old 10-17-2017, 08:25 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

This link desribes what Im saying much easier
Would appreciate if you guys can check it out. Should work if you copy/paste it in google, etc.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:34 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Are those new components or did they come with the swap? If used I'd just buy a clutch kit with bearing and bushing. Definitely not normal.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:02 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

All new components, except the tranny. Spec 2+ clutch assy. "Stock" flywheel (rockauto), AM throwout bearing.

Tranny has no 5th gear, so I will need to pull trans anyways.. But I would like to be able to put it all back together with confidence.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:05 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Can anyone provide any input on this? I noticed through the transmission peep hole, with the clutch pushed in the throwout bearing/clutch disk appeared smooth, and all nosies went away.

Im thinking its the fingers on the clutch disk, the throwout bearing, or the input shaft.. Im really not sure
Old 10-19-2017, 06:11 PM
the427buick

I have the same issue with my 04, 5 speed , I bought A kit from Rock auto,A standard clutch kit. My mechanic told me that it needs to break in,The more I drive it the parts will make their grooves and it will go away. ?? so far 500 miles and still has the noise
Old 10-19-2017, 06:33 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by the427buick
I have the same issue with my 04, 5 speed , I bought A kit from Rock auto,A standard clutch kit. My mechanic told me that it needs to break in,The more I drive it the parts will make their grooves and it will go away. ?? so far 500 miles and still has the noise
Does yours sound thesame as mine? I dont think that noise has anything to do with "grooves".. Pretty sure I have over 1000 miles already, and the noise just developed recently..

In my video, you can see my TO bearing "jumping" around.. Which I believe is causing the noise. But I have no idea why its doing that.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:57 AM
the427buick

my issue must be different,If I press on the clutch a little my noise stops