Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Coolant + Gearbox oil leak ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 03:07 PM
jplmail

Default Coolant + Gearbox oil leak ...

Hi everyone,

My 2007 Mustang GT (Automatic) has coolant and Gearbox oil leak, after showing it to different mechanics I could not get a reliable diagnostic, would you guys please help me on that?
Here is the symptoms :
1) I lose around 1 liter of coolant each week (after 50 miles), I can see it leaks on the ground of my garage
2) After lifting the car with a mechanic, there is no obvious sign of coolant leak, but we notices a small transmission oil leak (red oil) in the bottom of the gearbox carter, on the side of the engine

I'd be very interested to have your advice, in order to choose the right Mechanic, with the right diagnostic, I don't want them to make a useless repair, or damage the car. Photos bellow.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2018, 03:08 PM
jplmail

Coolant on the floor

Oil leaking from the gearbox

The beauty

Oil leaking from the gearbox

Oil leaking from the gearbox (touching it, this is obviously oil)
Old 10-02-2018, 03:11 PM
jplmail

I'm especially worried about the Transmission: do you think I could have some coolant leaking into the transmission, with a risk of damaging it?
Old 10-02-2018, 05:23 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

No, coolant cannot leak INTO the transmission.

You do not have a "gear-box" that's indicative if a manual trans or DSG, automatics
we have are slush-boxes...

Your leak can be from the band servo covers, where the lines are at the trans housing, or
the pan gasket. A front seal, it would be leaking out of the bell housing. Farther back,
wold be the tail-shaft, or rear yoke seal.

Before MOVING the car, see what part of the trans is above the puddle where the fluid is, to
get a better idea. We can't tell with the puddle on the concrete. Your pictures are not
all that informative either, way too close. I don't see any coolant on the floor either, I see
what looks like trans fluid. IF that's coolant, then it's back by the heater core lines.

Most common coolant leak is the plastic thermostat housing. They crack, and leak.
Other than that, you will have to look at each hose fitting. This is, IF you actually
have coolant on the ground. 1-liter per 50 miles is a lot.

Last edited by 08'MustangDude; 10-03-2018 at 04:53 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:27 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

The 4.6 V8 doesn't have a plastic thermostat housing. That dubious honor belongs to the 4.0 V6.
The coolant leak is obviously too small to leave drops on the ground. The best way to find it is to look around various parts of the cooling system IMMEDIATELY after you shut down the engine when it's up to operating temperature. That way you'll see the coolant before it's evaporated.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:54 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
The 4.6 V8 doesn't have a plastic thermostat housing. That dubious honor belongs to the 4.0 V6.
The coolant leak is obviously too small to leave drops on the ground. The best way to find it is to look around various parts of the cooling system IMMEDIATELY after you shut down the engine when it's up to operating temperature. That way you'll see the coolant before it's evaporated.
1) I lose around 1 liter of coolant each week (after 50 miles), I can see it leaks on the ground of my garage
Okay....

Old 10-03-2018, 12:20 PM
jplmail

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I loose so much coolant that I'm sure there is a leak, but if the puddle on the ground is transmission oil, then the coolant goes somewhere else...
Regarding the transmission fluid leak, I clearly see it leaks down from the transmission, on motor side, on the bottom part of the bell housing, I'll attach a better picture right now.

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
No, coolant cannot leak INTO the transmission.

You do not have a "gear-box" that's indicative if a manual trans or DSG, automatics
we have are slush-boxes...

Your leak can be from the band servo covers, where the lines are at the trans housing, or
the pan gasket. A front seal, it would be leaking out of the bell housing. Farther back,
wold be the tail-shaft, or rear yoke seal.

Before MOVING the car, see what part of the trans is above the puddle where the fluid is, to
get a better idea. We can't tell with the puddle on the concrete. Your pictures are not
all that informative either, way too close. I don't see any coolant on the floor either, I see
what looks like trans fluid. IF that's coolant, then it's back by the heater core lines.

Most common coolant leak is the plastic thermostat housing. They crack, and leak.
Other than that, you will have to look at each hose fitting. This is, IF you actually
have coolant on the ground. 1-liter per 50 miles is a lot.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:27 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

From the bell-housing then, is either the front pump seal, input shaft seal,
or it's blowing out the vent. Excessive fluid from the vent is a front pump
failure. They vented the trans to the top of the bell-housing. Hard driving
can cause some, but if it's all the time then it's a mechanical failure causing
fluid to blow out the vent. Or, as said, pump seal failure.

As far as what is on the ground in that picture, I am just saying what it LOOKS
like, I'm not there, can't sell. All YOU need to is stick your finger in it then smell.

We have no idea where the motor is, in correlation with the puddle of coolant. That is
why, when you park, you need to look under it after it has leaked, to see what is
above the puddling.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The most common place for a 05+ GT to leak coolant without being easily seen and making it look like it's coming from the transmission housing is a heater hose that goes under the intake manifold from the passenger side firewall as a metal line, then switches to a rubber heater hose before going into the passenger side head into another metal tube.

If you stick a flashlight under the intake and take a peak, you will probably have a puddle of fluid there in the valley between the heads or at least signs of evaporated coolant.

Here's a vid about it from a youtuber on it along with my comments to the youtuber below:

"Nice vid! Just tackled this same leak on my 08. Couple of things; Ford offers the elbow by itself, Motorcraft Kt-92. The hose size on the Ford elbow is 3/4, same as the metal pipe on the other side. Way easier to install the 3/4 inch hose vs fighting with the 5/8."

Yes the intake manifold must be taken off to work on it. It's a simple job if you are prepared and should take less than an hour. Hardest part is removing the intake.

Last edited by Derf00; 10-03-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:39 PM
jplmail

I see transmission oil leaking from here

Quick Reply: Coolant + Gearbox oil leak ...