Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

05 -07 GT Exhaust Systems

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 06:39 PM
mikefan20
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 05/06 GT Exhaust Systems

Hey TMG I was wondering if you had any sound clips of the SLP Loudmouths, how are they?
Old 03-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Rench
1st Gear Member

creamyam, the 05/06 Mustang has a great factory designed exhaust system and it's tough to improve upon, at least in the Dollar to H.P department. Unless you are going for BIG H.P. numbers, lets say more than 500. I think MM&F just did an exhaust shoot out between the top aftermarket header guys. They ran stock cat pipes to a Bassani X pipe and the JBA shorty headers seem to have made the best power improvement, can't remember what axle backs they used but they kept everything the same, except headers. I also remember reading a post somewhere where a guy tried various combinations of header, x-pipe,h-pipe and axle backs and the best power combo used the stock mufflers, he commented in the final configuration he had for best power, it seemed the engine "liked a little back pressure". The longtube headers seem to make the most power improvement, however if you are concerned with emmisions compliance, then this wont work becuse the long tubes wont work with the factory cat pipes. Yes you can run high flow cats with them which requires a full exhaust system re-work. Most guys, I believe, like the axle backs mostly to dial in the sound they prefer. Axle backs alone for the most part wont add much if any, and may actually drop a little H.P. But if you get the sound you're looking for there's not much concern for the minimal power loss. They're easy to install, the tips look cool and if you get the sound you want, you get the bang for your buck.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Lucy2005
2nd Gear Member

If one was going to redo the entire system, long tube headers, x pipes, high flow cats, where would one go for the best emission legal system?
Old 03-27-2006, 11:33 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

That would of course depend on where you are as far as Emision go. If you are in California. Then you cannot touch the cats at all. And technically you can't touch them in other states either as it is fedral law. Not until 80k at least.
Therfore the only other parts you would really want to replace would be the manifolds with headers I highly recomend JBA Headers. From what i have seen and heard no reason to replace the axle forward pipes as they are all mandrel bent 2.5" pipe. That leaves you with a X or H pipe and the mufflers Axle back.

Richard
Old 03-27-2006, 11:53 PM
Lucy2005
2nd Gear Member

To rerplace the header pipe with long tubes, you have to relocate the catalytic converters. The factory setup puts the catalytic converter at the base of the short exhaust manifold on the downswing pipe, just past the factory collector. If you put in long tubes, they are going to run beyond where the cats are currently located, so even if you leave the factory cats, you are going to have to move them back (toward the rear of the car) in the piping. It is my understanding that this could be illegal, but will the car still pass a smog test? Here in NC they are just starting that, and it is county by county, but I live in a county that tests. Is there a way to put on Longtubes, high flow cats, and x pipes that will still pass a smog test?
Old 04-03-2006, 01:25 AM
Yooler05GT

As far as my baby goes, im all about GO! if its not the best performance part its not going on my car... so after doing some digging i found some of the best systems available for the 05-06 gt. JBA makes longtubes, h-pipe, and axle back out of 3" tubing, good sound and great performance. also a small company called (Stainless works) has a similar system with larger pipes off of the block into the 3" collecter. they also have a cat back system so you get 3" tubing all around.

but if you really want some go and want to intimidate all those ricer punks then spend the money with the best pair of longtubes and use some 4" cutouts by quicktime performance. a muffler shop should be able to do all the work even though there is a little bit of cutting and welding but it will b disgusting.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:02 PM
gorex

ORIGINAL: Rench

creamyam, the 05/06 Mustang has a great factory designed exhaust system and it's tough to improve upon, at least in the Dollar to H.P department. Unless you are going for BIG H.P. numbers, lets say more than 500. I think MM&F just did an exhaust shoot out between the top aftermarket header guys. They ran stock cat pipes to a Bassani X pipe and the JBA shorty headers seem to have made the best power improvement, can't remember what axle backs they used but they kept everything the same, except headers. I also remember reading a post somewhere where a guy tried various combinations of header, x-pipe,h-pipe and axle backs and the best power combo used the stock mufflers, he commented in the final configuration he had for best power, it seemed the engine "liked a little back pressure". The longtube headers seem to make the most power improvement, however if you are concerned with emmisions compliance, then this wont work becuse the long tubes wont work with the factory cat pipes. Yes you can run high flow cats with them which requires a full exhaust system re-work. Most guys, I believe, like the axle backs mostly to dial in the sound they prefer. Axle backs alone for the most part wont add much if any, and may actually drop a little H.P. But if you get the sound you're looking for there's not much concern for the minimal power loss. They're easy to install, the tips look cool and if you get the sound you want, you get the bang for your buck.
thank you for a very informative post
Old 04-04-2006, 06:46 AM
BACK2STANG

My Borla cat back system came yesterday and I'm having it installed tomorrow. Just hope I can hear my stereo. I'm sure I'll love the sound. ...Ed
Old 04-08-2006, 09:26 PM
*bmxking*
1st Gear Member

i have dynatech long tube headers with there x pipe with high flow cat and flowmasters and i could be any happier with the way it sounds.. i tis alot louder kno wthen it was when i just had the flowmaster and at ideal it is only alittle lounder but after 3000 rpm it sound awsome..
Old 04-10-2006, 10:28 PM
MustangMike650

I want my 05 gt to be very loud and have the sound of something like turndowns does anyone have any ideas? i been thinking a 40 series flow master or bassani..

Quick Reply: 05 -07 GT Exhaust Systems