4 Cylinder General Discussion For non tech 4 Cylinder owner chit chat

90 mustang notch 2.3 n/a

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:32 PM
slidenotch
1st Gear Member

Default 90 mustang notch 2.3 n/a

Okay guys, I'm new to the board and I've never posted a forum. But this doesn't mean i don't read them. haha. But anyways, i thought i would post my project. I'm an 18 year old that comes from a huge backround of cars. My dads owned 6 mustangs himself over the years. He bought me this at my second car (After i totaled my jeep :[ ) as long as i pay him some what payments. Anyways This is a list of the things i now have done to the car after only 5 months. Keep in mind that im an 18 year old that doesn't have crap for money. But new job means hx35 =]

the car itself is a 1990 mustang coupe. 2.3 N/a 5 Speed.
It has 180xxx miles on it and still runs absolutely amazing.
Clutch is even in good shape.
Bought it for 850 and the ac still works and blows cold.
There is a little little who in the driver side bottom of the door panel. not the dog leg.
Also pony rims came on the car.

I will be posting more pictures soon. I just have to get some actual picture of the interior and motor of the car. Usually don't show those off. hahaha.

List.
8.8 rears end with 3.73 gears and Lsd.
Double hump transmission cross member. Stock 5.0\
Exaust with a autozone Flowmaster muffler cut before the axle.
An air silencer delete. (3 in exaust tube)
Also lowered on "who knows" what kind of springs only 1"
and a gt40 6 speed shifter =]
Just for those idiots who really think its a 6 speed.

The paint is in **** *** condition. It looks like it sat for a while because there are spots where the yellow shows and the clear coat is total poop. There is also a small dent right behind the gas door.

Interior is very clean. No ripped seats, no cracked dash. There are small holes in the seats. Jensen head unit with new speakers all the way around including dash speakers, and a 10" sony walmart sub and a 1000 watt amp and tuned box

That's about all of done to the car so far.
Future plans are svo fully built with hx35 30 psi+ turbo. One day.

Here is a little video of the car. Yup the Lsd works great still. It just needed some water =]

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=58713864

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...Photo_04-1.jpg

Before the wheel paint and hub caps took off.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...21092152a1.jpg
Old 06-10-2009, 04:10 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums

Nice to see another young person here who likes the mustang 2.3.

I'll tell you right now to get another car to drive for yourself if you want to turbo this car because it will be down for a while.

Ask me how I know... Almost 2 years and Im finally driving my car lol
Old 06-10-2009, 04:25 PM
slidenotch
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sleeper_inc
Welcome to the forums

Nice to see another young person here who likes the mustang 2.3.

I'll tell you right now to get another car to drive for yourself if you want to turbo this car because it will be down for a while.

Ask me how I know... Almost 2 years and Im finally driving my car lol
Yea i plan on getting a little beater jeep or a ranger roller and put the 2.3 and trans from my mustang into that and fully build a svo motor. but thats a lot of money from now and who knows what can happen. haha.

Thanks for the reply and hopefully we can talk more. It'll be nice to make some friends that actually know what there talking about with 2.3 motors.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:33 PM
al_ngl
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums. Hopefully we can help you out in some way, and it seems that you already know quite a bit. Unfortunately for me, my 2.3 is probably going to be my daily driver while I build another car, whereas most people are the other way around. My plan was to do a swap on my current car, but it seems every time I work on a new part of the car I find a place that has been damaged badly.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:00 AM
slidenotch
1st Gear Member

So i decided to go with a 331 stroker with afr 205 heads.
I'm thinking its gonna be cheaper, which means I'll be able to drift competitively from then on. My 2.3 n/a just doesn't break lose when its dry out. Only fun in the rain. Let me know what you think guys.

Just remember. I don't want a stock svo or 302 motor.
It has to be big. and a big 302 is cheaper then a built svo. So I think

But like I said. let me know what your opinions are. I'm open for it all.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:32 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Hey,

Welcome to the boards!

Theres a wealth of info around here for 2.3T motor swaps and so forth. If your looking to drop in a 302, id start browsing the 5.0 forums too.

Good luck with the project!
Old 06-18-2009, 01:13 AM
al_ngl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slidenotch
So i decided to go with a 331 stroker with afr 205 heads.
I'm thinking its gonna be cheaper, which means I'll be able to drift competitively from then on. My 2.3 n/a just doesn't break lose when its dry out. Only fun in the rain. Let me know what you think guys.

Just remember. I don't want a stock svo or 302 motor.
It has to be big. and a big 302 is cheaper then a built svo. So I think

But like I said. let me know what your opinions are. I'm open for it all.
I for one like the 351 windsor. You can pull one out of a lot of different vehicles, and wouldn't have to stroke it, you would already have displacement to work with.

I don't know about which engine is best for drifting, but each one will have its pros and cons. A v8 will have more power and torque, but it will also weigh down the front end more so than a 4 cylinder. A turbo four would handle well, but it would have turbo lag. Also, I would think each different bore/stroke combination would have its own driving characteristics i.e. responsiveness and controlability. If you want to find out about each different configuration, I'd ask the 5.0 section, as there will be someone there who has done any and every stroke.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:00 PM
slidenotch
1st Gear Member

Yea i've been researching a lot. Has anyone seen the car craft 331 build? 7600 rpms. haha. but anyway thank you guys for all the help. I'm still not 100 percent sure on what im going to do. I did think about a 351 but there almost as wide as a big block and i want a turbo one day. Rather its a 2.3 or 331. haha.

But so far I'm just kind of sitting on ideas and paying stuff off. but i will keep an update on what im doing. Before anything comes a full suspension setup. K member and all.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:18 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

you can turbo a 351 just as easy as a 302, the 351 isnt but about an inch or 2 wider fwiw
Old 06-20-2009, 05:31 PM
slidenotch
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
you can turbo a 351 just as easy as a 302, the 351 isnt but about an inch or 2 wider fwiw
i understand that. but i really think a 302 would be best for turboing in the long run. I think they have more parts and options also.

I would build a 408 is i went with a windsor/cleveland.

Quick Reply: 90 mustang notch 2.3 n/a