4 Cylinder General Discussion For non tech 4 Cylinder owner chit chat

HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:36 PM
William Sasser

Default HELP!!!!

My name is B
ill and need help putting a head gasket on a 92 2.3 liter 4 cyl.
I am down to taking the head off and am scared I will screw up if I take the timing belt off wrong or the valve train. Can anyone help?????
It is a 1992 mustang with the2.3 liter engine and has 150000 miles on it but I am going to drive it because I cannot get anything for it. Thank you,
Bill
Old 01-20-2012, 05:41 AM
SKAR

You cant really take the timing belt off wrong, just make sure its timed correctly when you put it back together. Id suggest getting a new belt well your at it too to save yourself a future problem.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 AM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SKAR
You cant really take the timing belt off wrong, just make sure its timed correctly when you put it back together. Id suggest getting a new belt well your at it too to save yourself a future problem.
this, just don't turn the engine while the timing belt is off.

I would replace the belt and the tensioner while you're in there.

chances are you'll be using an aftermarket timing belt when you put it back together. once you put the new belt on and get tension on it, rotate the engine twice (don't force it if you feel a sudden stop or excessive resistance) and make sure the timing marks line back up afterwards. You may end up having to adjust a tooth if it doesn't.

also don't skip resurfacing the heads. You'll end up doing the job again in 10k miles give or take.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:23 AM
SKAR

/\ All of that is good advice.

If you do come back tho this thread and have any questions feel free to ask.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:09 PM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

2.3 is non interference engine so belt timing wrong will not hurt anything. "A good manual is good idea." Check the belt timing here. I know turbo site but timing is exactly the same. Be careful with the crankshaft sensor and not damage it. [Will cause no start problem] Maurice
http://www.stinger-performance.com/tech.html