4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

New Member With A Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 09:45 AM
mg man 75
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New Member With A Few Questions

pictures of 5.0 body. More pictures are at my photobucket, Link at bottomof postListed as 5.0 should give info except for grinding of the upper intake. There is a picture of opening of the upper intake. This was first try. Didn't suit me. Left is stock Right is 5.0 More pictures here. Glad to help where I can http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...5/100_5634.jpg
Old 09-23-2007, 10:51 AM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Whitie

I would like to start by saying hello. My name is Eric, and im from Oceanside California, but im currently living in Saint Robert Missouri. Ive been a fan of the fox body mustang for a long time and have pretty much always wanted one. Now that i have introduced myself, i can get to my questions.

I am about to purchase a 1990 2.3L N/A Mustang. And through my research i have learned that they put out roughly 88hp and 132lb ft of torque. Ive looked into a couple of modifications to boost my power a little bit, its all pretty simple bolt-ons such as an exhaust, a new intake system, and possible a throttle body spacer. I dont want to get too advanced on modifications as this will be my daily driven car, but i would like a few extra ponies under the hood. My main question i have is if the 2.3T throttle body and 2.3 N/A throttle are the same size? From what ive seen, it looks to be maybe a 2in diameter throttle body, and i would like to possibly go with something a little larger. Also is the 2.3 throttle body in the same position in the engine bay as the 5.0? I ask this question because an intake for the 2.3 is nearly impossible to come by, but if the TB is in the same position in the engine bay, i could easily use the 5.0's cold air intake.

Sorry if my post seems very "noob'ish" or childish in the modifications department... but as i said, its just a daily driver that needs a little kick in its step. Thanks in advanced.

Whitie
Welcome to the forum. Now lets get sorted with your car.

First Question. What are your HP goals?
Second Question. How much you wanna spend?

Sorry for the questions, but this will help me (maybe others) help you in suggesting parts to reach your goal
Old 09-23-2007, 11:00 AM
fordsbestcar
3rd Gear Member

the 90-93 2.3 actually have 105 hp due to two spark plugs per cylinder. any of the years before that had 88 hp.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:52 AM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordsbestcar

the 90-93 2.3 actually have 105 hp due to two spark plugs per cylinder. any of the years before that had 88 hp.
Wrong. The 91-93 mustangs had 105 HP because of the cam, maf, and head design
Old 09-23-2007, 12:24 PM
macadoo
2nd Gear Member

What do you mean had? Mine still has 105. About the problem with going up hills..... I live here in the mountain area of Tennessee and mine scoots up them without a problem. Buy the car and have fun with it. Befor you go and start throwing stuff on it I would have a compression check done to it you might just have to start with an engine rebuild if compression is low or there is a big difference in the cyclinders. good luck with it I bought mine and worked on it for a year and a half in my spare time befor I got her done. Now it is my daily driver and I love the 28 + mpg. Depends on my foot.... If you know what I mean... I will tell you I cruise the interstate at 80 and the rpms are just under 3000. Ofcourse my speed limit is 70 here. So I just do 9 over put it on cruise that way if I get pulled over unless it is 10 or more mph no prob on my insurance.

Another words this is a good car as long as you fix it up to be and don't just throw anything and everything on it. Mine has no mods but I'm looking into a more free flowing exhaust manifold.

I call it my oversized go cart!!!
Old 09-23-2007, 12:38 PM
al_ngl
4th Gear Member

fordsbestcar, I think you just got owned lol. Just kidding, man alot of people think it's the dual plugs that do it.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Whitie

ORIGINAL: sleeper_inc

ORIGINAL: Whitie

I would like to start by saying hello. My name is Eric, and im from Oceanside California, but im currently living in Saint Robert Missouri. Ive been a fan of the fox body mustang for a long time and have pretty much always wanted one. Now that i have introduced myself, i can get to my questions.

I am about to purchase a 1990 2.3L N/A Mustang. And through my research i have learned that they put out roughly 88hp and 132lb ft of torque. Ive looked into a couple of modifications to boost my power a little bit, its all pretty simple bolt-ons such as an exhaust, a new intake system, and possible a throttle body spacer. I dont want to get too advanced on modifications as this will be my daily driven car, but i would like a few extra ponies under the hood. My main question i have is if the 2.3T throttle body and 2.3 N/A throttle are the same size? From what ive seen, it looks to be maybe a 2in diameter throttle body, and i would like to possibly go with something a little larger. Also is the 2.3 throttle body in the same position in the engine bay as the 5.0? I ask this question because an intake for the 2.3 is nearly impossible to come by, but if the TB is in the same position in the engine bay, i could easily use the 5.0's cold air intake.

Sorry if my post seems very "noob'ish" or childish in the modifications department... but as i said, its just a daily driver that needs a little kick in its step. Thanks in advanced.

Whitie
Welcome to the forum. Now lets get sorted with your car.

First Question. What are your HP goals?
Second Question. How much you wanna spend?

Sorry for the questions, but this will help me (maybe others) help you in suggesting parts to reach your goal
Im not looking for much out of it. Maybe 125hp max. Ive pretty much got all of the mods lined up, im just awaiting my check to come in. Here is a little info on the car.

Its a 1990 LX 2.3L (Obviously)... Its red with a gray interior, about 134K miles on it. It needs new tires, a A/C line, and a new exhaust. The guy is asking $700 for it... But i might see if i can push my luck and talk him down a bit.

Here is a picture.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:47 PM
fordsbestcar
3rd Gear Member

i had my info wrong it was my fault. the website that had the info just said that.[sm=bustedsign.gif]
Old 09-23-2007, 07:48 PM
al_ngl
4th Gear Member

You can make 125 easy. The ranger cam will bring you up to 105. get a CAI and you'll be at 108-110. The extra 15-17 can be freed up by underdrive pullies, possibly an A/C delete, and ranger header. After porting and polishing the manifolds etc., you should be up to at least 125 hp. You can get most of that stuff off of old rangers and 2.3 stangs in junkyards.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:56 PM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

He already has a roller cam His car already makes 105hp

Quick Reply: New Member With A Few Questions