4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Mthd11
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need help

your ignition timing may be off. my car did that, exatcly what you described. i ended up dropping the tank and doing all kind of trouble shooting, was a easy fix lol. a possibility is that on you distributor shaft, the gear, theres a pin that holds it in place, i had it break on the highway at high rpm had no idea what it was at the time. it would just crank and crank and crank...

"if i hold the gas all the way down and crank it it starts but then dies right away,,,"
doing that tells the injectors not to pump fuel, you dont need to pump the gas with a fuel injected car..
Old 12-18-2007, 11:36 PM
damoney69
2nd Gear Member

i know i dont but if i dont open it it does nothing...it wont turn over...but when i do it it srarts up....what do i do to fix the ignition timing...
Old 12-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Mthd11
3rd Gear Member

lol you need a timing light. but you can bring the engine to #1 to TDC, take off the dizzy cap, see where its pointing, should be at the #1 spot on the cap. and lol this is nicks thread sooooo.. and he hasnt even replied back to the thread, nice jack damoney lol
Old 12-19-2007, 09:22 AM
damoney69
2nd Gear Member

hahahah oh well he never tried to reply so ill step in with my problem...so you think its the timing then?
Old 12-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Mthd11
3rd Gear Member

its a possibility, but your going to have to trouble shoot it... remember, air, fuel and spark make an engine run, if you have all of those then it should go. does your fuel pump work? are you getting spark? i spun my car and hit a curb real hard in the rear end, i bent the axel flange, but anyways, after that my fuel gauge has never worked properly again, if you crashed your car, you could have smacked something real nice.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:38 AM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: buckshot

What year is it? Certain years are known for some ignition problems.
Dont you mean... all Fords?

Yeah you probly killed it somehow and then when you went to crank it over it wouldnt start... try tripping the starting solonoid cause it could very well be your ignition switch inside the steering collum.

(the switchs short out and get bad connections)

If you need help on tripping the solonoid I hav pics to show you how

And maybe you have some moisture in the dist. cap or maybe a small crack in it?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:30 AM
damoney69
2nd Gear Member

fuel pump does work i hear the humming...i am getting spark...all the wire and plugs are good..but the thing is i didnt hit anything..
alll i did was go partway into a ditch...and then when i tried driving it it just died but now its turning really strong but nothing after that...how do i go about the ignition switch in the steer column? yeah could u send me pics to show me how to do that it would help alot
Old 12-19-2007, 10:36 AM
86bluethunder
1st Gear Member

not to say this is the fix but mine did the same thing (died no warning, crankand crank and crank, no spark) it was my tfi module on the side of the distributor. i'm no expert but that was my problem....i also had 164000Km, good luck. i know first hand how frustrating it can be
Old 12-19-2007, 02:45 PM
hellion_79
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: damoney69

fuel pump does work i hear the humming...i am getting spark...all the wire and plugs are good..but the thing is i didnt hit anything..
alll i did was go partway into a ditch...and then when i tried driving it it just died but now its turning really strong but nothing after that...how do i go about the ignition switch in the steer column? yeah could u send me pics to show me how to do that it would help alot
I cant find the pics

But the starting solonoid.... you will have a red battery cable and black battery cable and a little wire that leads all to the solonoid.... undo the little wire and take a screwdriver and make a connection between the red battery cable nut to the little wire nut... before you do that make sure that your ignition is ON (like the car would be running) its gonna crank the motor over, if the engine starts that would mean your ignition switch is toast. So maybe try that before you go and replace something else.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:24 PM
damoney69
2nd Gear Member

so just unscrew that black wire thats next to the red battery cable and put a screw driver in and have someone crank it over?