4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

help on body work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 PM
liquidkoola

Default help on body work?

well i finally got my 1st car and its a mustang 2.3 notchback 5spd and seems as perfect can be execpt the kinda overly senstive gas and latish grabing clutch(which got replaced). and everything is perfect except for a very very annoying dent right behind the front fender on the left side. i think i could hit it out with a hammer from the other side but i dont kno how to take it off? any help would greatly be apretiated.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:46 PM
ExtrmZ
4th Gear Member

you could do that, but it might chip the paint off the front side, so unless you are ready with some sandpaper and some primer, i wouldnt..
Old 09-08-2008, 09:59 PM
liquidkoola

yea im totally ready to do a repaint at my schools autobody shop
Old 09-08-2008, 10:26 PM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

if you can get up there with the fender on it, go for it, if not then you might need to take it off...and when you do hit it, go very slow and watch for cracking in the paint.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:36 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

try to keep away from hitting the back with a hammer if possible. If you can, i'm sure your school may have some. Get a dolly near the same shape of where you're going to need hit out, Hold the dolly firmly on the back side of the fender & hit the outside with a hammer (somewhat lightly). If you're worried about paint, you can put a bit of tape over the end of the hammer. The hammer isn't what's doing the work, the dolly is.

When done with that if you want to try to get it looking perfect again, bondo over the area (make sure to go a bit past the dent to ensure you got the whole dent. After it dries, grab a paint stick, some 100 grit sand paper. Wrap the sand paper around the paint stick, hold the stick horizontally & sand diagonally. then you primer/sand/primer/sand. Don't go over 400 grit with the sanding on primer.

Make sure you remove the paint to bare metal if you bondo it.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:25 PM
liquidkoola

i have pics if that can help ,thnx for the tip foxgt
Old 09-09-2008, 03:30 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Post some pictures, I'm not seeing what your getting to
Old 09-09-2008, 04:02 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Pics won't really change what has to be done either way. If it's dented in very far, it's best to use a dolly/hammer to get it out before bondoing. Bondo is horrible when applied thick. The priming & sanding will be the same for any ding.

Some spots that you can't get to the back of you can drill a hole for a screw, or weld a piece of metal to the tip of the dent & use a slide hammer to pull it out. Fenders are generally easy to get behind though.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:03 PM
liquidkoola

here are some pics of the dent

and what im wondering is how to get past the guard thing

Old 09-12-2008, 09:56 PM
speedjunkie92
4th Gear Member

get a heat gun on low and heat up the bumper cover very slightly and pull it back into place hold it there until it cools down might do the trick,
if the school has a body shop let them do the dent easyer on you,

Quick Reply: help on body work?