4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

how much psi???on a stock T-C turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 12:53 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

I seem to recall reading on turboford somewhere that a guy on there enlarged the oil feed. I think he found the input into the turbo was quite small, and the turbo would fail basically because it got starved for oil. Don't know what brand/source it was though.

If you are going to keep with a mild build, you can't go wrong with the T3.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Svtwv

thanks for the input an I like your set up fox gt. This may sound dumb but what is the two silver things on your manifold? Is that two wastegates?If so whats the benefit or need for two? Im getting ready to pull the engine an put new gaskets in an my cam plus I needed an oil pump an stuff. Get engine bay an stuff painted an cleaned up and Im going to check out my t3 an see about having my friend rebuild it for me. Also im trying to have another guy I know come off his holset turbo off his 07 cummins..also I got my e6 an ihi today..an its obvious why the e6 is much better flowing..plus couldnt pass the deal up e6 with ihi mounted still from 88'..with oil an coolant lines I believe? with 66,000 miles on it to my door for $110...
Old 02-09-2011, 03:01 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRBOPWR
I seem to recall reading on turboford somewhere that a guy on there enlarged the oil feed. I think he found the input into the turbo was quite small, and the turbo would fail basically because it got starved for oil. Don't know what brand/source it was though.
It's good that you mentioned it. I've never seen any, but it is worth checking at the least. I've always ran -3an feed lines & fittings on everything I've built & my own vehicles.

Originally Posted by Svtwv
thanks for the input an I like your set up fox gt. This may sound dumb but what is the two silver things on your manifold? Is that two wastegates?If so whats the benefit or need for two? Im getting ready to pull the engine an put new gaskets in an my cam plus I needed an oil pump an stuff. Get engine bay an stuff painted an cleaned up and Im going to check out my t3 an see about having my friend rebuild it for me. Also im trying to have another guy I know come off his holset turbo off his 07 cummins..also I got my e6 an ihi today..an its obvious why the e6 is much better flowing..plus couldnt pass the deal up e6 with ihi mounted still from 88'..with oil an coolant lines I believe? with 66,000 miles on it to my door for $110...
It doesn't sound dumb at all. They're 44mm wastegates. I'm running two because I built a twin scroll header for it which requires keeping the pulses from cylinders 1&4 separate from 2&3 for a near 1000rpm lower boost threshold (i.e. 14psi by 2900 instead of 3800rpm). Some argue that one will suffice as long as you keep it divided all the way up to the gate, some argue that you need two. I went with two because I am somewhat ignorant on how dividing up to one gate will effect it compared to running two & there is no solid evidence on one vs. the other, I didn't want to chance losing a lower threshold point. I went with two 44mm's because of the V-band flanges, a single 38mm would more than suffice for a 2.3 turbo.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:02 AM
Svtwv

thats pretty neat I didnt know that you could do such a thing lol thats a very nice setup would be a nice change when you pop the hood in a crowd of people looks all business I would have probably ran two myslef I dont know much about that setup but it would seem two would be a more fail proof way of running it an it looks pretty cool... I pulled the engine today.When it goes back in with the ihi turbo on it what psi will it be running or set at?will it go soley on the wastegate springs or how is that determined?I have a manual boost controller to install but Im just curious what it will or should be running when it fires up
Old 02-16-2011, 11:27 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I get more compliments on the intercooler size & turbo sound than I do from the header. Honestly, if I could have gone with one knowing it wouldn't affect the rpm I see boost at I would have. I prefer the less moving parts/more reliable setup route. It should be at 7psi.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:16 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

Default kind of unrealated but......

I have been looking at many different stangs and found an SVO (I think its sold now) but he was running 35 psi. He had to have 10k in the motor on this car and was only asking $4500 for the car. The 35 psi was pretty high to me and was looking for a fairly stock car, and this was anything but.