4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

whats the best turbo/turbo kit?

Old 01-28-2011, 06:58 PM
dylans 85

Default whats the best turbo/turbo kit?

i am wanting to turbo my 2.3 in my mustang and i am having trouble finding the rite turbo kit for it... what is the best turbo kit for the money in ur opinion???
Old 01-28-2011, 07:05 PM
everett
2nd Gear Member

Well eBay is cost effective but every turbo thread I read is on3....must mean something
Old 01-30-2011, 04:30 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

A "kit" is a waste of time and effort. Find a real 2.3T motor and swap it over. Less hassle and better building block.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:45 PM
4bangstang

Autozone is where I got mine for about 1500 bucks and it's built to oem spec as a long block. As far as a turbo kit goes, ebay is what I call evil bay because those turbo's are usually Chinese junk that will destroy your engine. You get what you pay for. First of all there aren't really any "kits" out there for turbo 2.3's. It take time and some fabricating to do it right unless you want a stockish set-up. I recommend getting an e6 exhaust manifold, buy a reputable name brand t3/t4 5o trim turbo with either a .48 or .63 exhaust a/r. A good intercooler is a must. A good fuel system and the computer to run it such as an LA3 or standalone is needed as well. You didn't describe what car you have or your goal. I can help more if I knew more about what you have and what you want.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

Read this...

http://forum.turboford.org/cgi-bin/u...=005379#000000

Get that magazine issue mentioned as well.

Search through that site for some good info too!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:10 PM
4bangstang

The average person doesn't have a 2.5 or $2,000 for an aluminum head. The t-61 is going to surge on a 2.3 like he said. The hx35 and hy35 are good for 450 horses and they only cost 2-300 bucks instead of 7-900 for a good t-61. SquirrelPerformance.com has a turbo calculator you can play with.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:56 AM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, but he wanted a good turbo. Someone did the work to figure out what turbo worked best for their set up, maybe he will get the point and do a little calculating to figure out what he needs.

by the way, first couple paragraphs...

"anyway i calculated the turbo requirement for:
1) a 2.3L and a 2.5L motor
2) RPM range from 3500rpm - 7000rpm
3) boost levels at 15psi, 20psi, 25psi, and 30psi
4) an aluminum head (i guestimate/hope to have a VE of ~85-88%) and an iron head (i guestimated to have a VE of ~80%)

now i have NO idea what the actual VE is for these 2.3L heads - but i can make a good guess from how street and race 8 valve heads of ALL brands tend to stack up. so by using a VE range from 80-90% i can pick a turbo that will fit that range for my motor and boost level and i am positive the compressor will have good results with pretty much any 2.3L performance head (ported iron or aluminum) regardless of how please or disappointed i am with the head itself!"

Granted, he will have to port his head to make these exact findings work, but the theory is the same for all engines/heads.

If you will re-read the article, you will note that he had not said that it will surge, it's just getting to the point where that issue may arise. A lot can be done to counter act that too.

Heres another link thats filled with some info about what you can do for performance...

http://www.stinger-performance.com/faq.html

Oh wait, now thats 2 sources that say the T61 can work? That cant be right....

And if you keep your eyes open, you would be amazed at how many parts come up for sale for less than what they are really worth. Will they be brand new? probably not. But you can find awesome parts for a killer price if your resourceful enough.

Now i'm not saying that he has to go this rout, or that everyone should, or that its the best. He's looking for info here, and I'm just supplying some options to consider. It's better to know more info that you may not use than wish you knew more before you went a certain rout.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:12 PM
4bangstang

I'm not saying a T-61 won't work, I'm saying it won't work well on a bone stock 2.3. He still has to post what he wants out of his car.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:22 AM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

Very true. On a stock 2.3, I would not recommend a t-61 type setup.

And another good point, we don't know what his plans are for his car. So that will be a big deciding factor on what kind of turbo to get.

If I was going to do the work to do an engine swap, I would do as much to the engine as I could afford before putting it in. Sometimes you can get lucky and find some ported big valve iron heads for not a lot of dough. Do a little home porting/gutting of the intake/exhaust, get a volvo or npr intercooler, and your set up pretty well to use a holset of some sorts, or an upgraded t3 or t3/t4 hybrid.

Either way, it would be nice to know a bit more about his build.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:46 AM
JZA240sx

If you plan on running a t61 dont run more than 3 psi on the stock block or it will blow up lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: whats the best turbo/turbo kit?