4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

Anyone heard of SVE Control Arms?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone heard of SVE Control Arms?

Alright fellas, getting to the point where I need to start re-building my T/C rear end to swap into the Mustang. Planning on some new axles, re-location brackets for the T/C calipers, depending on the condition of the differential, I may end up replacing some of that as well. But mainly it will see new wear ant tear items, bearings, seals, etc.

I am definitely upgrading the control arms. I'm going to stick with the FMS upper control arms, but I am torn about the lowers. I want some ride hight adjustably, but after dealing with Granatelli with my front suspension, I'm pretty sure I don't want to go that rout anymore. MMS sounds about the best way to go, but paying $350+ for some lower control arms kinda hurts.

I see Latemodel Restoration Supply has a set of weight jacker control arms from a company called SVE. They look very similar to the MMS arms, but I haven't heard of the company before. Seems like Granatelli made some that look vary similar to these as well. Just wondering if anyone knew anything about SVE and if they make decent parts, or crappy knock offs like the Granacrappy's.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2011, 02:29 PM
phorty
1st Gear Member

I saw these, too, and was wondering the same thing.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:55 PM
GT350R

They are just like the Granatelli's. If they have spherical ball in the front, they will seize. The height adjuster's will also start to seize and will be difficult to adjust. Even with a breaker bar. Other then that, they looked exactly like the MM's when set next to each other. Welding was identical. I think the only thing we saw different was a little differnce in the degree of the bend on the flat steel brace.

Now , these were on Ohio cars, and you have to ask yourself, just how often your going to really be adjusting them. Another point would be if you were to service them regularly.

A better point to look into would be the Granatelli upper failure's. I know Foureyepride had a bunch a picture of them ripped apart years ago. I know your talking lowers, but its worth bringing up. Good choice in th uppers. Only ones I like better for a street car are the Old Steeda's that were boxed Motorsports.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:40 AM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

You must have been bored to look up a thread this old lol.

I am still in the market for some rear end goodies. I've already noticed my granatelli front suspension is starting to rust only after a summer of good weather driving. Kinda upset about that. I'll never buy their junk again.

I would actually love to find a cobra irs for it. If I can't get a hold of one by mid late winter, I'm probably going to do the MMS weight jacker control arms. Only real reason I want the adjustablility is so I can fine tune at the local road track.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:13 AM
phorty
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT350R
They are just like the Granatelli's. If they have spherical ball in the front, they will seize. The height adjuster's will also start to seize and will be difficult to adjust. Even with a breaker bar. Other then that, they looked exactly like the MM's when set next to each other. Welding was identical. I think the only thing we saw different was a little differnce in the degree of the bend on the flat steel brace.

Now , these were on Ohio cars, and you have to ask yourself, just how often your going to really be adjusting them. Another point would be if you were to service them regularly.
Ah well, I was under the impression that the spherical ball made for a more pleasant ride on the street, a little less harsh. I guess I'll look for a more conventional lower.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:47 PM
GT350R

Originally Posted by phorty
Ah well, I was under the impression that the spherical ball made for a more pleasant ride on the street, a little less harsh. I guess I'll look for a more conventional lower.
Nope. Harsher. They tranfer more road noise/vibration. They are reduce binding and or damage to the torque boxes. By design. the 4 link set up has to bind when moving. Everyone installing poly bushings forces more load into the thin sheetmetal body mounting holes. Thus helping the torque boxes tear easier/more. Problem is, they are not needed on the lowers, they just look "bling" so they sell. They dont move enough (why they are not needed) so they seize up if not overly maintained in a typical crap michigan/ohio tyoe climate.