4 Cylinder NA and Turbo This section is for questions pertaining to stock or modified 4 cylinders, including the performance 2.3L applications

Makeing a 93 LX sound mean

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 03:03 PM
mstroker

Red face Makeing a 93 LX sound mean

I have a 93 LX that I plan on swapping a 5.0 into at some point but for the moment being I just want it to sound like its a monster.

The kind of sound I am looking for is the raspy kind of scream that you get from a high performance 4 cyl but I want to do it fairly cheaply (I AM saving up for the 5.0 ya know ) so ... options?
Old 03-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

good luck. with your 100hp 4 banger you wont get that sound real well. only thing that comes close is using a glasspack backwards. even then it sounds kind of wimpy.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:58 PM
mstroker

Originally Posted by Babybudistmonk
good luck. with your 100hp 4 banger you wont get that sound real well. only thing that comes close is using a glasspack backwards. even then it sounds kind of wimpy.
well ACTUALLY its 120 horses thanks to the dual ignition

but yeah I don't expect it to sound like its got any real horse power
Old 03-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mstroker
well ACTUALLY its 120 horses thanks to the dual ignition

but yeah I don't expect it to sound like its got any real horse power
hmm, I don't think so. The dual plug head engines had some more horsepower, but closer to 105. they only added 10-15 hp with the new head design. I like the optimism though.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:47 PM
mstroker

do you think I could pull it off with small duals?
Old 03-22-2011, 04:47 AM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

the jump in horse power or a good sound? lol

Before I did the turbo swap, I had a pacesetter full length header that ran into 2 1/2" pipe, into a glasspack then dumped out just in front of the rear axle. It had an interesting sound to it, but still sounded kind of wimpy, until about 2500-3K rpm. Then it sounded like a rapped ape! However, it was pretty loud and I got pulled over quite often for it lol

For a year or 2 before the new engine, I was running a Flowmaster super 40 series. Now that was a nice sound. Kind of deep and low at idle, wicked sounding in the top end, and not loud enough to get too much attention from the popo. I heard that running those backwards has a really good sound as well. Haven't tried it myself, but I would like to know how it sounds.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:21 PM
mstroker

Originally Posted by Babybudistmonk
the jump in horse power or a good sound? lol

Before I did the turbo swap, I had a pacesetter full length header that ran into 2 1/2" pipe, into a glasspack then dumped out just in front of the rear axle. It had an interesting sound to it, but still sounded kind of wimpy, until about 2500-3K rpm. Then it sounded like a rapped ape! However, it was pretty loud and I got pulled over quite often for it lol

For a year or 2 before the new engine, I was running a Flowmaster super 40 series. Now that was a nice sound. Kind of deep and low at idle, wicked sounding in the top end, and not loud enough to get too much attention from the popo. I heard that running those backwards has a really good sound as well. Haven't tried it myself, but I would like to know how it sounds.
just the good sound haha, I am going to scrap the 4 cyl in the future I am not good at dealing with boost lol, and I need a car that is still kinda reliable ( AKA NOT my first turbo project )
Old 04-29-2011, 03:23 AM
Green78II

Flowtech Warlock muffler with the bypass cap open, along with a header and no cat. Its probably the closest you'll get to a v8 sound, and is actually louder and deeper than a straight pipe. When cruising around 2000 rpm I get a nice warble that sounds great. Stomp on it and it sounds incredible. It also sounds pretty decent with the cap closed but the warble at 2000 rpm goes away.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:35 PM
mikerp76
1st Gear Member

you could try a performance cat, and a glasspack muffler. i have one on my car and it sounds good at idle and really good at speed.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Babybudistmonk
2nd Gear Member

I have some friends that just use the CAT, and no muffler at all. That has a nice mellow sound at idle, and isn't too loud when you **** can it either. Altho, they are running v8's, so I'm not sure how it would sound on our 4cyl engines.

Quick Reply: Makeing a 93 LX sound mean